cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scored dropped after negative item deleted due to 7 years passing.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scored dropped after negative item deleted due to 7 years passing.

Got my Equifax score here on January 9 - 659.  Tonight got a notice from Equifax that they deleted an old CO that was schedule for deletion. I had inquired about it to them and that's why they notified me of the deletion. The notification is dated January 20.

So today, the 22nd, I get a new EQ score here at myFico and the negative item is indeed gone. No new negatives or changes otherwise on  my report. Just one less negative account. All other accounts, negative and positive, remain the same. On time paymens, or old CO's. My negative items are just CO's that are due to be deleted within a year.

But my score is 639 - a drop of 20 points. I assumed since the report is updated with the deletion, the score should be reflecting the deletion. I was looking forward to a small score bump up.

What's the posssible reasoning behind this?

Thank you very much.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Scored dropped after negative item deleted due to 7 years passing.

I think bc your AAoA dropped.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. What is AAOA?

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just found out. Will my score make up the little drop fairly quickly since it's 1 less negative item and it just affects AAOA? Is AAOA super important?

Message 4 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Was the entire OC account deleted, or just the charge-off?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everything about this old account was deleted. It's as if it never existed. No opening history, no CO history. Squeaky clean history with Discover Card now according to Equifax. Can't find a trace of it anywhere on the new report. Don't know how or if I can see the affect of AAOA.  Credit history is still 10 years in both reports.

I've been hoping 2012 is to be my big score jump year. I had 8 negatives. 7 now after this deletion. But the score went down. The remaing 7 are due for deletion all by January 2013. Now I worry the score bump won't be as big do to AAOA affect or whatever is caused this current downturn.  After these upcoming 7 deletions my oldest credit will be the 10 year old student loan that is in good standing. The rest are positive accounts. Hoping for significant score rise.

Message 6 of 14
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I just read a post where someone got almost 100 points when their last neg dropped off.  It's much easier to get scores up w/ a clean report than one full of derogs.

Also I'd rather have a clean report w/ a short history than the other way around (Like I have now).

You'll get the points back eventually. - You do have positive tradelines right now that are currently being reported each month to help both your AAoA and payment history?  If not, get some.

And it also depends on what the other derogs are.  If they are just collections, then that wouldn't make your score go down as they are not factored into AAoA - so getting those to drop will help immensely.  If you have an account that is still open, and maybe some lates here and there, the lates fall off 7 years from the date of the late, but the account will still be there, so that would also help your scores immensely.

This is good news, just a temporary setback.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 7 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Everything about this old account was deleted. It's as if it never existed. No opening history, no CO history. Squeaky clean history with Discover Card now according to Equifax. Can't find a trace of it anywhere on the new report. Don't know how or if I can see the affect of AAOA.  Credit history is still 10 years in both reports.

I've been hoping 2012 is to be my big score jump year. I had 8 negatives. 7 now after this deletion. But the score went down. The remaing 7 are due for deletion all by January 2013. Now I worry the score bump won't be as big do to AAOA affect or whatever is caused this current downturn.  After these upcoming 7 deletions my oldest credit will be the 10 year old student loan that is in good standing. The rest are positive accounts. Hoping for significant score rise.

If you still have several baddies on your reports, you might not see a score increase at all until you're down to 1-2.  Are these your oldest accounts?  It wasn't clear from your post.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason behind the score drop is because, as time goes by the negative affect of the CO diminishes and the age of the account is actually helping you, so once the entire TL is removed it lowers your AAoA's (Average age of accounts) not you length of credit history (unless the CO was your oldest account on your report/s) your length of credit history is your oldest open/closed account) and accounts for 15% of your score.

CO's are counted as active TL's and contribute to your AAoA's, the older they get, the less negative impact they have towards your score, and in some cases, after 5 or 6 years, they actually start to help you, because the negative impact has diminished, but the age of the accounts actually help towards your AAoA's, and when they either fall off or are removed VIA, dispute etc.... you could see score drops (odd huh?) but true.

You said you had 8 derogs, now 7 after the CO was removed, are the other 7 derogs CO's? Or are some of them CA's (Collections)?

Collections are not considered active TL's and do not count towards your AAoA's, so when a collection drops it will not lower your AAoA's, and you could see a nice score increase YMMV of course, but if the 7 remaining derogs on your reports are CO's and almost 7 years old and are due to drop, you may not see a score increase at all because, you are losing 7, 7 year old accounts that are contributing to your AAoA's, once they drop, it could kill your AAoA's and actually hurt your score, but you should see an increase to your score once the last one or two CO's fall off (due to being re-bucketed) with a clean report.

A CO is one of the worst things that could be on your reports, the newer they are, the more they hurt your score, the older they become, usually towards the 5th, 6th and 7th year, they have actually almost lost all negative impact to your score and again, actually start helping more than they hurt, solely because of the impact they have towards your AAoA's.

However, even if you see score drops as each CO falls off and your report becomes derog free, you will be re-bucketed, and provided you have positive TL's on your report/s, your score/s will be able to go higher than ever before because you are in a new bucket with a clean report.

But as Laz has said, you might see score drops until the last one or two CO's falls off, once they fall off and you are re-bucketed you could see a significant score increase right away, all of this really depends on what else is on your report/s, such as positive TL's that have some age to them etc....

I hope this makes sense to you, I am really sick (still) and my head is very clouded, but I think I have given you accurate info, I will have to re-read my reply after I submit it and hope for the bestSmiley Very Happy

If I am wrong, someone will chime in and correct me.

Message 9 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Also you might be rebucketed now anyway.  We really don't know (at least I don't think) how many collections past the first dump you into a second, or third, or higher order bucket even.  Presumably there's not a separate bucket between 1 and 2 collections (or on tax liens for that matter as another example), but between those and 10 collections?  Anecdotal evidence suggests they do this for inquiries, it's reasonable to assume it's in other parts of the scoring model as well.

I think deleting almost any negative is ultimately a positive in the mid-term time horizon, regardless of what the short-term score impact is.

        
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.