cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scores from Wells Fargo vs. FICO

tag
chhabra496

Scores from Wells Fargo vs. FICO

Can someone help me understand what the difference is, if any, between the scores that I get from Wells Fargo and the myFICO scores? Is it a different forumula used to determine the scores? 

I am referring to the Wells Fargo Enhanced Identity Protection monthly subscription which gives me all three credit reports every month. I see that getting all three credit reports from myFICO would cost about four times as much. 

Specifically, I'm trying to determine which scores I should concentrate on as it pertains to getting financing through GM for a Cadillac later this year. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Scores from Wells Fargo vs. FICO

I don't know the exact details, but I believe the WF scores are FAKOs.

This means a totally different formula is used, and the results can differ from FICOs in an arbitrary way.

If you are coming up to a major loan decision, I'd find a source for FICO scores, and stick with it.  Sources include this site, along with the FICO scores offered by CC companies such as DCU and Discover.

Message 2 of 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Scores from Wells Fargo vs. FICO

The WF ones are indeed an educational score of some variety that's not used; however, auto-enhanced scores such as what GM will assuredly use in your financing application simply aren't available to the public.

The best you can do in this situation (and what I personally recommend to everyone anyway) is simply focus on getting your report as pretty as possible thereby maximizing your chances on any reasonable algorithm: all the basics of what's a positive and what's a negative are extremely similar on all the FICO models they just weight things differently.

For the rest I agree with user5387's suggestion: if you care about your FICO scores, find a source for one (many out there these days) and track that for your personal benchmarking: just keep in mind it might not be identical (and likely won't be except for a few well known exceptions) to what a lender uses.

        
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.