Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scores go down mysteriously

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores go down mysteriously

(I originally posted this in the wrong forum; apologies if some of you are seeing it for the second time) On April 16, all 3 reports showed a delinquent WAMU CC account (30+ days late). I used the FICO simulator to see what would happen if I paid off the delinquent account. For both Transunion and EQ, the simulator predicted a MINIMUM 30 point IMPROVEMENT for paying off this delinquent account first. So I went ahead and paid off the delinquent account, and for good measure I also paid off an additional 4k of other cc balances. About 3 weeks later, all three bureau reports reflect my payments, including the complete payoff of the account that had been delinquent. There are absolutely NO other changes to my reports. And yet, instead of showing the improvement predicted by the simulator, each of my scores has gone DOWN. EQ and TU have gone down by 10 points each, which while not catastprophic, isn't negligible either. Any explanations or suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Message Edited by freelance on 05-05-2007 12:47 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Scores go down mysteriously

freelance wrote:
(I originally posted this in the wrong forum; apologies if some of you are seeing it for the second time) On April 16, all 3 reports showed a delinquent WAMU CC account (30+ days late). I used the FICO simulator to see what would happen if I paid off the delinquent account. For both Transunion and EQ, the simulator predicted a MINIMUM 30 point IMPROVEMENT for paying off this delinquent account first. So I went ahead and paid off the delinquent account, and for good measure I also paid off an additional 4k of other cc balances. About 3 weeks later, all three bureau reports reflect my payments, including the complete payoff of the account that had been delinquent. There are absolutely NO other changes to my reports. And yet, instead of showing the improvement predicted by the simulator, each of my scores has gone DOWN. EQ and TU have gone down by 10 points each, which while not catastprophic, isn't negligible either. Any explanations or suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Message Edited by freelance on 05-05-2007 12:47 PM

The simulator is just  a guide. Not a guaranteed reference. So the delinq was only a 30 day late? Or was it a collection or charge off? How old is this account?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This delinq was listed as 30 days late. It was not in collection. The account is nine years old, and has never before had any lates. thanks for your help.
Message 3 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Ok. I would try a goodwill letter to get the 30 day late removed.

See: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&message.id=2661
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just went over reports again, and noticed something even more mysterious: My EXP score declined by 10 points between May 2 and May 4, and there is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever between the two reports. (The payoffs I made were already reported on the first one). Shouldn't the exact same data produce the exact same score? I'm really perplexed.
Message 5 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

freelance wrote:
Just went over reports again, and noticed something even more mysterious: My EXP score declined by 10 points between May 2 and May 4, and there is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever between the two reports. (The payoffs I made were already reported on the first one). Shouldn't the exact same data produce the exact same score? I'm really perplexed.

You are going to drive yourself crazy trying to figure out daily score fluctuations. Smiley Happy I would not worry unless your score drastically changes for no reason.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

could be you jumped buckets
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.