Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scores plummet when share secured loan paid off

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Scores plummet when share secured loan paid off

Both my TU and EQ scores plummeted when Alliant Credit Union reported

my little $500 "share secured" loan as paid off.

EQ went from 722 to 693.

TU went from 733 to 708.

Wow.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Scores plummet when share secured loan paid off

Yep - tried to recommend a 2 step approach on your loan paydown to test balance to loan ratio before proceeding with pay off- but to late.

Long term AAoA and increasing age of youngest account will add major stability to score fluctuations, so factor that into your strategy.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 2 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Yep - tried to recommend a 2 step approach on your loan paydown to test balance to loan ratio before proceeding with pay off- but to late.

Long term AAoA and increasing age of youngest account will add major stability to score fluctuations, so factor that into your strategy.

Well the thing I was testing, which was whether the imbalance between the TU & EQ scores on one hand and the EX score on the other, would be corrected if all 3 showed the same data for the share secured loan..... was successfully tested. Because now that all 3 bureaus show a zero balance, the 3 scores are in balance.... In fact EQ fell to the exact same number as EX. (TU is understandably a bit higher than the other 2 for the unrelated reason that it shows 1 old public record while each of the others shows 2).

So mission accomplished as far as that goes.

(Of course I didn't expect to take that big a hit, or I would have foregone my little experiment, or as you suggest, just waited it out until the mistakes were corrected in time.)

So now I have a new mission, but this one isn't diagnostic and is much less cerebral. It's just to get those points back Smiley Happy

I'm tackling that mission by taking out another $500 reindeer game loan; paying it down to $90; removing autopay from the loan; and paying about $2 a month for the next 48 months (or until I'm ready to risk another point drop for educational purposes).

Message 3 of 5
Grafton88
Established Contributor

I took a 15-17 point loss when I paid off my secured loan at NFCU in December.  I also had 3 new inquiries so that might have made a slight change.

Early January I took out another secure loan.  I have paid off 60% so far and will pay another 20% in March.  Then I will make small payments for the rest of the term.  I can't wait to get those points back.

Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Grafton88 wrote:

I took a 15-17 point loss when I paid off my secured loan at NFCU in December.  I also had 3 new inquiries so that might have made a slight change.

Early January I took out another secure loan.  I have paid off 60% so far and will pay another 20% in March.  Then I will make small payments for the rest of the term.  I can't wait to get those points back.

Onward and upward Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.