Scores went down after credit card balances were paid off

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Scores went down after credit card balances were paid off

@Anonymous wrote:

@Exactly as @simplynoir said.

I recently had planned to leave a $3 balance at statement cut on one card but forgot and paid it in full.  My FICOs all dropped up to 20 points within a week because of my mistake of paying that card in full and none of my other cards reporting a balance.  Waiting til 5/15 for a different card to post a $5 balance at statement cut and the score should rebound back up.

+1 Rebounded the next month.

Message 11 of 23
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

They don't teach this stuff in school!

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really wish the mods would consider making a Sticky Thread on this subject, as it comes up just about every day on this forum.

Message 13 of 23

No they don't. Wish they did.
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not true. I have credit card utilization. I just paid off a credit card for $49 and my score went down 16 points on one and 3 points on the other 2.
FICO scores are BS.
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If that $49 was your only reported balance and it just reported as $0, yes you'd lose around 16 points. If you have another revolver with a reported balance, the $49 being paid off and reporting $0 is not what caused your score drop.
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have multiple credit accounts. I have 3 credit cards with 0 balance. When I paid the $49 off I got a credit alert from myFICO that said you paid off $49 and Experian and one other dropped my score by 3 points. 

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, was the $49 reported balance your only credit card account with a reported balance?  Then it reported $0, so you went to none with reported balances?

If so, that was the reason for your score drop.

You say you have multiple credit accounts and then say you have 3 with zero balances, but aren't clear as to whether or not those 3 are your only three, or if you have more and just 3 have $0 balances.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 3 cards total. All 3 now have 0 balances. I havent missed a payment in 2 1/2 years. Nothing changed with my credit except I finally paid off this ls card.
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous
I have 3 cards total. All 3 now have 0 balances. I havent missed a payment in 2 1/2 years. Nothing changed with my credit except I finally paid off this ls card.

That's why your score dropped then.  You have all $0 balances reported, meaning that the FICO algorithm sees "no revolving credit use" which adversely impacts your scores to the tune of 15-20 points usually.  You can overcome this almost immediately, though, by letting one of your cards report a small balance.  It can literally be a cup of coffee and a donut purchase, it doesn't have to be major.  Once that balance reports, you'll get back all of the points you lost immediately.  Going forward to avoid that penalty, simply allow 1 of your 3 cards to report a tiny balance while the other 2 report $0 balances.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.