Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scores went up after hard inquiry??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores went up after hard inquiry??

On November 3, I applied and was (very surprisingly) approved for a Sallie Mae World MasterCard. Later that day, I received an alert that my Experian score had gone up 21 points from the inquiry that Barclays did. I thought it might have been gone up because I was approved for a new card (as opposed to the inquiry itself), but today I woke up and find that my Experian score went up an additional 6 points for the reason of "New Account" (my Sallie Mae), so I assume that my 21 point increase wasn't from the approval of the new card after all. Furthermore, my TransUnion score had an alert for a 10 point increase due to the hard inquiry that Barclays did.

I thought hard inquiries always hurt your scores -- why would an inquiry cause the score to go up (not that I'm complaining, now my Experian and Transunion scores are finally above 650).

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scores went up after hard inquiry??

Barclays pulled your EX? Strange. They are usually a TU only IME.

Message 2 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

On November 3, I applied and was (very surprisingly) approved for a Sallie Mae World MasterCard. Later that day, I received an alert that my Experian score had gone up 21 points from the inquiry that Barclays did. I thought it might have been gone up because I was approved for a new card (as opposed to the inquiry itself), but today I woke up and find that my Experian score went up an additional 6 points for the reason of "New Account" (my Sallie Mae), so I assume that my 21 point increase wasn't from the approval of the new card after all. Furthermore, my TransUnion score had an alert for a 10 point increase due to the hard inquiry that Barclays did.

I thought hard inquiries always hurt your scores -- why would an inquiry cause the score to go up (not that I'm complaining, now my Experian and Transunion scores are finally above 650).

TL;DR - your first inclination was right, an inquiry may not move your score downward, but it is never a positive.

Longer response: It didn't cause the increase, but both the EX and TU monitoring have even less resolution than the EQ-style Scorewatch.

Not all changes are reported by the monitoring solutions; I'm even having balance changes go unremarked on both of the abovementioned bureaus, and as such the changes aren't happening instant in time.  If every single little change generated an alert, and on the assumption they were sequential / real-time, then we could point at something and say "my score did this because of that, !*&#@?" but in this case I know I get sometimes up to 9 changes (I counted once) without an alert being generated, and that includes massive ones like a tax lien being airstruck.

End of the day until we get better resolution monitoring some of the interstitial changes with time have to be taken with a grain of salt.  To be fair, I even know this and I got badly confused recently when I had a balance change happen combined with another change which I was expecting no movement on, and I dropped 18 points on one report... more careful analysis shows my FICO 8 moving like a 18-wheeler skidding on ice on comparitively small balance changes, so getting as clean as possible this month to see where things are.

        
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TL;DR - your first inclination was right, an inquiry may not move your score downward, but it is never a positive.

Longer response: It didn't cause the increase, but both the EX and TU monitoring have even less resolution than the EQ-style Scorewatch.

Not all changes are reported by the monitoring solutions; I'm even having balance changes go unremarked on both of the abovementioned bureaus, and as such the changes aren't happening instant in time.  If every single little change generated an alert, and on the assumption they were sequential / real-time, then we could point at something and say "my score did this because of that, !*&#@?" but in this case I know I get sometimes up to 9 changes (I counted once) without an alert being generated, and that includes massive ones like a tax lien being airstruck.

End of the day until we get better resolution monitoring some of the interstitial changes with time have to be taken with a grain of salt.  To be fair, I even know this and I got badly confused recently when I had a balance change happen combined with another change which I was expecting no movement on, and I dropped 18 points on one report... more careful analysis shows my FICO 8 moving like a 18-wheeler skidding on ice on comparitively small balance changes, so getting as clean as possible this month to see where things are.

+1 to that.

I recently closed a retail card that had a low limit (which I found out later after reading up on this board was a pretty pointless manuever).  myFico reported a score increase of +12 EX for that specific account getting closed. I'm pretty sure it was actually due to a balance decrease on a different card, which ironically was reported later as a +0 balance change on myFico. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Believed it or not I have fico equifac alert when i had inquiry, I had 2 inquiry first one my fico score went up 6pt and the 2nd one went up 10pt.  I dont know how to post a image here I can prove that it went up with nothing change in my file.

Message 5 of 9
HiLine
Blogger

Do you actually have the credit reports for before and after?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

YUP!! i keep track it.

Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I just don't buy it. 

I'm more of the opinion that something is awkward in the monitoring before I believe that.  We've never, ever seen that behavior in any prior monitoring solution to date, and it just doesn't jive with all of our anecdotal evidence since call it 2007 where this forum started and people really began analyzing things here.

        
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

I just don't buy it. 

I'm more of the opinion that something is awkward in the monitoring before I believe that.  We've never, ever seen that behavior in any prior monitoring solution to date, and it just doesn't jive with all of our anecdotal evidence since call it 2007 where this forum started and people really began analyzing things here.

I think there's probably some fuzzy, confounding variable in this case in the FICO scoring that isn't being reflected in the FICO alerts. That didn't stop it from being less alarming when I got the alert with a green arrow pointing up with the description of "inquiry" (twice).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.