cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scoring Changes With New Card & 0 % Util.

tag
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Scoring Changes With New Card & 0 % Util.

After getting to where I was debt free I began to experiment to find out how different util. and obtaining new credit affected me ..

This is the first month I let 0% Util. report, I also got the Macys Amex and store card on Sat 14th 

My results so far :

EQ- 755 -> 739(bal. on 1 of accounts dec. by 100%)16pt total decrease

TU-765 -> 754 on the 15th(total bal.on all bankcard accounts,sum of all bankcard bal is 0)  then -> 747 on 17th(all retail trades,sum of all retail bal.is 0)18pt. total decrease.. isn't this double hitting? lol

EX-762->760( new inquiry added to report,MACYS/DSNB),16th ->745( new retail account added,Macys account) 17pt total for new acc.& inq.

Not sure if EQ&EX will do like TU and hit for all bankcards and all retail if so they haven't come in yet, if they do according to TU  I imagine it will be 7pt +  decrease.

So, my lesson learned is to never again let 0% across the board report,,for me I saw my highest scores at 1-2%,,I'll be curious to see how I bounce back after letting 1 acc. report this mth.

Just wanted to share my experience hopefully it can help someone....Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
joshall
Contributor

Re: Scoring Changes With New Card & 0 % Util.

That is worrying!

I resubsribed to 3B scores two nights ago and I am happy to see my scores being 787-780-765, with:

1 card at 0%

5 cards at <10%

1 card at <30%

I have indeed paid those 5 cards to 0% last week.  Credit card statement should be out this weekend. 

When do you think my FICO scores will get an update?  Is it as soon as a new balance is reported by the credit card to the bureu?

I will report back!

Message 2 of 5
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I usually let one card report each month. 1-2% total utilization. I accidentally paid off that card a few months ago. i lost 13 points. Gained all of them back after a card reported a balance. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 5
daudi81
Valued Member

Yea, I learned that the hard way as well. 

I paid down all my cards from 50% or more utilization, to ALL of them $0 balance and my score DROPS 25 points. I was completely flabbergasted. 

Once I researched, I let one of the cards update to a 1-10% util every month and my score increased.

Message 4 of 5
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies... yep now I'm waiting for new updates to hit and see any gains  and how quickly they may occur....

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.