cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scoring Option

tag
Bradleyscott

Scoring Option

I just recently got my first credit card in years.  I knew that not having a single source of revolving credit was hurting my score, although I didn't realize by how much.  I went from having a 587 to a 663 in a month... and it has stayed steady over the 3 months I have had it in my possession.  It started as a small credit line (only $200) as a way to build up the credit...

In a couple of months my (yes I am about to say a bad word here) lease is up.  I will be looking to buy a cheaper car to save on some money.  Looking at my credit reports, the lack of higher balances was hurting me.  I can easily call in and request a higher balance, which I'm sure I would get approved for... but this would also put a hard second inquiry on my report...

Which would be better for me to do?  Add the second hit or increase the balance (again balance would probably only go up by a couple of hundred dollars). 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Scoring Option

Hi...and welcome.

What kind of credit card do you have? Are you sure it would be a 2nd hard inquiry?

Congratulations on your score...nice spike up.

Message 2 of 3
Bradleyscott

Re: Scoring Option

It is a Chase Freedom Exclusives, which I have a bank account there.  I called and asked them to up the limit and they told me it would be a hard inquiry...I have already had one hit in the past 3 months, so I want to make sure that one is not going to screw up the other, especially since 3 months from now... I will be having a few hits (all rolled into the car loan, so they should only show up as one collectively right?).
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.