Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scoring Retail Cards v. Bank Cards

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Scoring Retail Cards v. Bank Cards

@Anonymous wrote:
I know your score will go down if you let one retail card report and 0 bank cards report so make sure you let one bank card report a balance

I can't test that anymore since I kicked Wally to the curb, but I don't think similar behavior has been reported previously?  Was the card an AU by chance?

        
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I let just my walmart store card report a balance and all my bank cards report 0 my scores drop and when I let one bank card report a balance and my store cards 0 it goes back up so yes FICO does score them different unless I'm the only one
Message 12 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
When I let just my walmart store card report a balance and all my bank cards report 0 my scores drop and when I let one bank card report a balance and my store cards 0 it goes back up so yes FICO does score them different unless I'm the only one

Huh, that's unexpected; drop on all 3 bureaus on either CCT or MF monitoring?  Which store card or was it multiple different ones that you found?

Anyone with a store card mind testing that? Smiley Happy

        
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was bout 15 points or so on all 3 it don't matter what retail card I let report that was on myfico
Message 14 of 17
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It was bout 15 points or so on all 3 it don't matter what retail card I let report that was on myfico

I can try to remember to test this later this summer for another data point, unless anyone else is able to do it sooner. Target is my only store card, and I can try letting that report and keep all the others (bankcards) zero'd. Someone please prod me if I forget!

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beavis are you certain that there isn't something else impacting your score change... perhaps some other variable that's giving you a false positive on your theory?

IF a store card vs a bank card really did make a difference, I wouldn't think it could be more than a couple of points... certainly not 15 points across the board which is quite significant for something very insignificant.

Message 16 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Beavis are you certain that there isn't something else impacting your score change... perhaps some other variable that's giving you a false positive on your theory?

IF a store card vs a bank card really did make a difference, I wouldn't think it could be more than a couple of points... certainly not 15 points across the board which is quite significant for something very insignificant.

Well the theory advanced is that store cards aren't counted similarly, and if it's excluded from number of revolvers reporting a balance (namely number of bankcards reporting a balance?) then it might get the 0 accounts reporting a balance penalty.

Beavis, speaking of which, any chance you could zero out all of your accounts and see the magnitude of the score drop there for comparison purposes?

        
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.