Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scoring question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scoring question

This weirds me out every time.

I get inquiries or add new trade lines, and the three bureaus are like clockwork:

Equifax will drop 15-20 points.
Experian will not move.
Transunion will jump 10-15 points.

After time has passed:

Equifax will jump lots of points, but is always below the other two
Experian will slowly gain a few points to be equalish with Transunion.
Transunion will just sit there.

LOL

Why such differences?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scoring question

Are you sure are about what you said?  Every time you have an inquiry (or open a new account) your TU sccore promptly gains 10-15 points?

On the face of it that sounds very hard to imagine,  Having an inquiry cannot cause a credit score to rise.  And adding a new account almost always cause a short term loss.  (The only situation where an immediate gain is conceivable would be when a profile had no accounts of a certain type.  For example, if someone had only credit cards, and then added his first installment loan -- he might see an immediate gain then.)

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically, every time something is added to all three bureaus, TU always takes a big jump, EQ always takes a big hit, and EX does almost nothing.

If it is just added to one bureau, they do what they are supposed to do.

This is the second time I noticed it. First time was about 4 months ago when I went on an app spree.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhhh...ok.  When you said "it's like clockwork", that gave the impression that you have seen this happen many times, and that it always happens this way,  In fact it's just happened twice.

Lots of things can contribute to the behavior of a score when it's just once or twice.  Hard to know what happened. 

But certainly, if you find that this continues -- that you keep gaining 15 points at TU for every inquiry or new CC -- don't hesitate to document it carefully and then let the rest of the world know.  People will be delighted to know that all they need to do is open lots of CCs and get lots of inquiries to improve their TU score.  All the boring "pay your bills and keep your debt low" stuff can be scrapped!  :-)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.