Reply
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,318
Registered: ‎05-05-2011
0

Secured Loan to improve FICO?

I am *so* frustrated that it seems my attempts to improve my credit are either working *very* slowly or not at all. I'm having trouble getting any CC w/a decent CL. So, I am wondering... How would it affect my FICO score if I got a *large* secured loan? (Okay, by large, I mean maybe $3000 to $4000.) 

 

I'm also thinking that it would help when I next apply for a CC for them to see a bigger CL than I have on presently on my CCs, and that it's being paid timely. I understand that installment loans report differently than revolving. So, I'm wondering if this would help my FICO score.

 

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

 

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 32,869
Registered: ‎08-04-2007
0

Re: Secured Loan to improve FICO?

I've let my views be known before on the topic of secured loans. I think they are a waste of resources, have very little impact on mix, potentially lower your score due to new credit and AAoA, and cost $$$ to boot. There are also posters in here who have hit 800+ with no loan reporting. BTW, higher CLs don't help your score, though properly utilizing the CLs you have will.

 

I know it gets frustrating...we've all hit that FICO credit wall.

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,889
Registered: ‎05-24-2011
0

Re: Secured Loan to improve FICO?

DH finally had an installment loan hit his reports from us refi-ing our truck.  Guess what?  His score went DOWN.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,658
Registered: ‎06-05-2008
0

Re: Secured Loan to improve FICO?


bichonmom wrote:

I am *so* frustrated that it seems my attempts to improve my credit are either working *very* slowly or not at all. I'm having trouble getting any CC w/a decent CL. So, I am wondering... How would it affect my FICO score if I got a *large* secured loan? (Okay, by large, I mean maybe $3000 to $4000.) 

 

I'm also thinking that it would help when I next apply for a CC for them to see a bigger CL than I have on presently on my CCs, and that it's being paid timely. I understand that installment loans report differently than revolving. So, I'm wondering if this would help my FICO score.

 

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

 

 


I would skip the installment loan; odds are that's not what's keeping you from a large CL.  Something else in your history and/or income is likely keeping you from qualifying.

 

Be patient - get rid of the baddies dragging you down, and keep asking for CL increases on your exisiting cards.  When I went through the same thing, I ended up getting offers for credit at or slightly above existing CL's.  My largest was 300 bucks, now my largest is 5k.  

3-26-15: FICO EXP: 814 - EQU:813 - TRAN: 809 - AVG: 812 +262 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,318
Registered: ‎05-05-2011
0

Re: Secured Loan to improve FICO?

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. It looks like the secured loan wouldn't help. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what kind of CLIs I can get next year. Grrr. :smileysad:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,318
Registered: ‎05-05-2011
0

Re: Secured Loan to improve FICO?

P, the thing that really frustrates me is that there are people posting here w/lots of baddies on their report, and they have higher scores than I do and/or they're getting higher CLs than I am. I ONLY have ONE collection, which is due to drop off in Jan/Feb 2012.

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,658
Registered: ‎06-05-2008
0

Re: Secured Loan to improve FICO?

 

bichonmom wrote:

P, the thing that really frustrates me is that there are people posting here w/lots of baddies on their report, and they have higher scores than I do and/or they're getting higher CLs than I am. I ONLY have ONE collection, which is due to drop off in Jan/Feb 2012.

 

 


That's odd...  What else is on your report?  Are there lots of inquiries or lates?  What credit cards / limits do you have and what balances do you carry on them right now?  Are you using a FICO score or another service?

3-26-15: FICO EXP: 814 - EQU:813 - TRAN: 809 - AVG: 812 +262 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,318
Registered: ‎05-05-2011
0

Re: Secured Loan to improve FICO?


p- wrote:

 


 

That's odd...  What else is on your report?  Are there lots of inquiries or lates?  What credit cards / limits do you have and what balances do you carry on them right now?  Are you using a FICO score or another service?


I have  "thin" credit file because I made the mistake of waiting for a BK to fall off before doing anything with my credit. So, except for a couple of old accts that are only showing on 2 of my 3 credit repts., the oldest acct is a secured loan that I got a few years ago.

 

I have 2 PIF secured loans, 4 CCs: 1 Old navy and 3 visa/mc that will be a year old in the spring. And only $63 balance total on the cards. No lates, about 4 or 5 inquiries. The CLs on the CCs are low, which is my frustration. It's really hard to use a card with such a low CL. They are 2 at $500, $600 (just increased to $1200 thanks to Old Navy) and $750.

 

Yes, I'm using a true EQ FICO score.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,658
Registered: ‎06-05-2008
0

Re: Secured Loan to improve FICO?


bichonmom wrote:

I have  "thin" credit file because I made the mistake of waiting for a BK to fall off before doing anything with my credit. So, except for a couple of old accts that are only showing on 2 of my 3 credit repts., the oldest acct is a secured loan that I got a few years ago.

 

I have 2 PIF secured loans, 4 CCs: 1 Old navy and 3 visa/mc that will be a year old in the spring. And only $63 balance total on the cards. No lates, about 4 or 5 inquiries. The CLs on the CCs are low, which is my frustration. It's really hard to use a card with such a low CL. They are 2 at $500, $600 (just increased to $1200 thanks to Old Navy) and $750.

 

Yes, I'm using a true EQ FICO score.


Hmm...  That's odd to be sow low with no baddies.  I would kep asking for CLI's, and maybe see if you can get added as an AU to an account with some history.  If there's already a closed installment account, you're getting that benifit.    There's no CA's or anything?  What does the CA say is harming your score?

 

Do you have income to justify a larger CL?  Have you considered saving up a couple thousand and putting it into a secured card?

3-26-15: FICO EXP: 814 - EQU:813 - TRAN: 809 - AVG: 812 +262 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,318
Registered: ‎05-05-2011
0

Re: Secured Loan to improve FICO?

Only one collection due to drop off in Jan/Feb.

 

I have a feeling FICO scores based on age. They know how long I've had credit (20-some years), and I think it probably deducts points for having such a thin file after so many years.

 

Unfortunately, there's no one who can add me as an AU. If I can qualify for an AMEX in the future, I'm hoping to backdate it, which would help all 3 CR a lot.

 

I guess right now there's nothing else I can do but wait and get CLIs as I'm able. I don't want to add anymore CCs right now because my AAoA is totally zapped.

 

I'll be curious to see what my score goes to after the collection falls off. Given that it's so old and a small amount and I'm going to be re-bucketed, I'm not sure if I'll see a big jump or not. But it sure would be nice!

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.