Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping for Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shopping for Credit

What is the proper way to shop around for credit and auto loans? - That could lease negatively impact my credit score.

Should I do it all at once in a time period. Or, should I inquiry once.. ?wait and so on...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shopping for Credit

You have 30 days from the first pull to shop around and it will only count as one inquiry... 

Message 2 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum

Car loans 

Try your best to walk into the dealership with your own pre-approved financing so they don't shop your loan amount around with 5 different lenders for 5 different HP's  

CC's do your research and know that the card is right for you and your long term needs....

In other words don't go wild and 3 months later wish you had gotten the cards that you would use and be rewarded from vs cards you don't or won't use 

If at all possible do all your shopping for CC's and auto about the same time so the INQ's all age together but get the auto loan first for the best rates at the lowest APR because any INQ's will lower scores for a thin file...thicker file it may not affect

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You!

@Anonymous wrote:

You have 30 days from the first pull to shop around and it will only count as one inquiry... 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, this helped!

I did read a book about buying a car and they did mention what you said about being pre approved.. That is why i was shopping around for an auto loan

but i guess a 3

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome to the forum

Car loans 

Try your best to walk into the dealership with your own pre-approved financing so they don't shop your loan amount around with 5 different lenders for 5 different HP's  

CC's do your research and know that the card is right for you and your long term needs....

In other words don't go wild and 3 months later wish you had gotten the cards that you would use and be rewarded from vs cards you don't or won't use 

If at all possible do all your shopping for CC's and auto about the same time so the INQ's all age together but get the auto loan first for the best rates at the lowest APR because any INQ's will lower scores for a thin file...thicker file it may not affect

month old secured credit card is still Not enough history

THanks!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry not month ... i meant 12 month

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.