Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Cancel paid off credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Cancel paid off credit cards?

Hi there!
I'm new here...and I was wondering if I cancel some credit cards that are paid off would get me a higher score?....I have a credit score of 690....and I like to cancel a sears card too...please note that I paid everything off...Thanks guys for your help!
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Should I Cancel paid off credit cards?

No!!

It will reduce the length of your history.  Just keep them open and possibly use them once a year for a banana, then pay them off  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 31
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Sasha wrote:
Hi there!
I'm new here...and I was wondering if I cancel some credit cards that are paid off would get me a higher score?....I have a credit score of 690....and I like to cancel a sears card too...please note that I paid everything off...Thanks guys for your help!

Why do you want to cancel your cards?  If you do that, your scores will go down.  Keep em open and use them every couple of months or so.

Btw, I do not blame you for wanting to cancel a sears card, their APR is ridiculous!
Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your imput....for some reason I thought i would get a higher fico score...
So, i should use them once in a while?  Don't want to sound stupid but why?
Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  so you're telling me that even if I cancel Sears it will lower my score?...I can't believe the APR on it is legal!!!!
Message 5 of 31
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Sasha wrote:
Thanks for your imput....for some reason I thought i would get a higher fico score...

The FICO compter likes cards to be used sometimes, and likes the average balance on the cards to be very slightly above zero% of the total available credit.  So if you by a banana once a year it will be happier than if you stick it in a closet and ignore it.  And it won't like you closing it.  It is a pretty dumb computer  Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Again, thank you! Wow! You're a pro! you made it all clear for me to understand....I'm really starting to love this place!Smiley TongueSmiley Tonguetongue smiley
Message 7 of 31
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

You should check out our supercontributors - they know where their towel is  Smiley Very Happy

Explanatory note - if the comment on a towel confuses you, go read the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 31
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Sasha wrote:

It's the opinion of many on this forum you should use your cards regularly and keep your balance to credit limit ratio between 1-9%.  I know that stinks with a sears card and its APR.  If you have other cards such as Visa or MC try to keep your util to 1-9% of your total credit limit on each card.  Maybe you can keep sears at 0 balance and use occasionally then PIF to avoid a FC.  Do not close your cards though.
Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey! I have one last question and I promise to leave you alone afterSmiley Tongue
I'm wanted to do my banking with a new bank that have no to little charge for atm's , checks etc...
Would that hurt my score to change your Bank?
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.