Sasha

Should I Cancel paid off credit cards?

Hi there!
I'm new here...and I was wondering if I cancel some credit cards that are paid off would get me a higher score?....I have a credit score of 690....and I like to cancel a sears card too...please note that I paid everything off...Thanks guys for your help!
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice

Re: Should I Cancel paid off credit cards?

No!!

It will reduce the length of your history.  Just keep them open and possibly use them once a year for a banana, then pay them off  :smileyhappy:
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Moderator Emeritus
fused

Sasha wrote:
Hi there!
I'm new here...and I was wondering if I cancel some credit cards that are paid off would get me a higher score?....I have a credit score of 690....and I like to cancel a sears card too...please note that I paid everything off...Thanks guys for your help!

Why do you want to cancel your cards?  If you do that, your scores will go down.  Keep em open and use them every couple of months or so.

Btw, I do not blame you for wanting to cancel a sears card, their APR is ridiculous!
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (09-16-2014): EQ 824, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1 (Amex 07-15-2014)

Sasha

Thanks for your imput....for some reason I thought i would get a higher fico score...
So, i should use them once in a while?  Don't want to sound stupid but why?
Sasha

Thanks!  so you're telling me that even if I cancel Sears it will lower my score?...I can't believe the APR on it is legal!!!!
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice

Sasha wrote:
Thanks for your imput....for some reason I thought i would get a higher fico score...

The FICO compter likes cards to be used sometimes, and likes the average balance on the cards to be very slightly above zero% of the total available credit.  So if you by a banana once a year it will be happier than if you stick it in a closet and ignore it.  And it won't like you closing it.  It is a pretty dumb computer  :smileyvery-happy:
Sasha

Again, thank you! Wow! You're a pro! you made it all clear for me to understand....I'm really starting to love this place!:smileytongue::smileytongue:tongue smiley
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice

You should check out our supercontributors - they know where their towel is  :smileyvery-happy:

Explanatory note - if the comment on a towel confuses you, go read the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  :smileyvery-happy:
Moderator Emeritus
fused

Sasha wrote:

It's the opinion of many on this forum you should use your cards regularly and keep your balance to credit limit ratio between 1-9%.  I know that stinks with a sears card and its APR.  If you have other cards such as Visa or MC try to keep your util to 1-9% of your total credit limit on each card.  Maybe you can keep sears at 0 balance and use occasionally then PIF to avoid a FC.  Do not close your cards though.
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (09-16-2014): EQ 824, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1 (Amex 07-15-2014)

Sasha

Hey! I have one last question and I promise to leave you alone after:smileytongue:
I'm wanted to do my banking with a new bank that have no to little charge for atm's , checks etc...
Would that hurt my score to change your Bank?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}