cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for a new cc or two before or after I look for a new apt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I apply for a new cc or two before or after I look for a new apt?

So here's the skinny: My credit is now spotless (see scores in signature). I'd like to apply for a new cc or two-not too much. Buuuuuuut, I am also in the midst of looking for a new place to live in NYC. Should I app for cards before or after I look for a new pad?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Should I apply for a new cc or two before or after I look for a new apt?

@Anonymous wrote:
So here's the skinny: My credit is now spotless (see scores in signature). I'd like to apply for a new cc or two-not too much. Buuuuuuut, I am also in the midst of looking for a new place to live in NYC. Should I app for cards before or after I look for a new pad?

If you are house~hunting and will be getting a mortgage then don't do anything.

If you are going to just be leasing an apt then I see no reason to hold off.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are house~hunting and will be getting a mortgage then don't do anything.

If you are going to just be leasing an apt then I see no reason to hold off.

Some rental places will HP. In that case, it's better to apply for the CC before just because one might have a better score. I think CC companies woud be more sensitive to the score than an apt rental company (I'd expect they'd be more interested in negative information).

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 3 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

+1 pizzadude

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Do you really need a new CC?

If you are not a member of a local CU, I would think about joining one especially if I new I was going to get an autoloan or mortgage down the road. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.