Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close some accounts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I close some accounts?

I have a score of 733 but I get a flag because I have 37 accounts.  Should I close some credit cards I dont use? 

Will it help or hurt my score?

Thank You

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I close some accounts?

tomt1280 wrote:

I have a score of 733 but I get a flag because I have 37 accounts.  Should I close some credit cards I dont use? 

Thank You

Ignore the flag. It is my understanding that the flag appears whether or not the accounts are opened or closed and while there is a flag, there's really no damage to your scores.

Even if you closed the account, the flag will still be there and the account won't remove itself for another 10 yrs. At that point, it could be one of your oldest accounts and if it fell off your reports, your score will drop some.
Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its all depend. No one stops you from closing your accounts and everyone situation is different. Try to keep all the accounts low  or zero balance as possible is the key to improve credit score. If you dont use them, close them. That's my philosophy. Everything takes time to get better.

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

tomt1280 wrote:

Thank You

Ignore the flag. It is my understanding that the flag appears whether or not the accounts are opened or closed and while there is a flag, there's really no damage to your scores.

Even if you closed the account, the flag will still be there and the account won't remove itself for another 10 yrs. At that point, it could be one of your oldest accounts and if it fell off your reports, your score will drop some.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you...
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.