Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close this card?

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Should I close this card?

I have a store card (redcats) with a $350 limit.  I've decided I'm not a fan of their products and they did a random hard pull last fall for a CLI I didn't ask for.  The card is a year old and my AAoA is about 6 years.  Is it going to hurt anything to close this one?

I have 2 Visa, a MC, and a Target Store card open and active. 

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I close this card?

@thankfulheart wrote:

I have a store card (redcats) with a $350 limit.  I've decided I'm not a fan of their products and they did a random hard pull last fall for a CLI I didn't ask for.  The card is a year old and my AAoA is about 6 years.  Is it going to hurt anything to close this one?

I have 2 Visa, a MC, and a Target Store card open and active. 

The only possible problem is if your utilization goes up because you lose the CL on this card. But if you carry low or no balances on your other accounts this won't matter. The closed account will continue to help your AAoA and credit length history for about 10 years after closing.

You can read more about this here: Closing Credit Cards.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I close this card?

Closing the account wont affect your AAoA unless the account is also deleted by the creditor, but being only a year old, and your current AAoA being much higher, account deletion would only help.

With four open revolving, two of which are apparently Bank Cards, it would not appear to have any credit mix implications.

The $350 CL , with four other cards, is probably not that significant in your overall % util calculation.  Loss of the card might affect your % cards reporting a balance, if the card is normally at $0, but again, that can be managed.

All-in-all, I would probably not only close the card, but ask that it be deleted from my credit file.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.