cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I expect a point increase if I do this?

tag
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

Should I expect a point increase if I do this?

This is my situation:

I have a HELOC at $30k utilizing $29k.

I have 3 credit cards with a balance:

Amex $6,600 vs $7,000 (since they keep reducing my limit) fixed interest rate 3.99% for life

Chase $23,500 vs $44k limit (Balance transfer rates for life of 2.99% & 3.99%)

BOA $2900 vs $7000 limit (0% until Dec 2009)

My utilization on AMEX is close to 100%. I guess by balance chasing, AMEX is trying to encourage me to pay it off.

My overall utilization on my revolving accounts is 30% ($33k vs $115k limits). I have various other cards with no balances and limits from $3k to $9k. Equifax does not count my HELOC in revolving debt, but if counted that would be an additional $29k vs $30k ($62k vs $145k or 43%)

I had read somewhere that 1 account near the limit isn't as harmful as more than 1 account near the limit. I am trying to gauge how many points I might gain by paying the AMEX off vs paying the same $6,600 down on the Chase. I am fully aware if I pay AMEX, they will cut my limit drastically, which is fine, I don't need the card.

Or is the HELOC already counting as high util and I would still have 2 accounts reporting high? (Chase & HELOC)

I also have a personal loan check in hand that I am considering using to pay AMEX, at a personal loan rate no doubt of 9.99% but it would be an installment.

My current FICO scores are 720 - 723 but I was as high as 760 before AMEX cut my limit from $15k.

Any suggestions on best course of action?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I expect a point increase if I do this?

Hi Itsjustme

May I ask why do you need to have your score increased right now. Are you in the market to make a major purchase.

The reason I ask is because why would you use a 9.99% check to cover a 2.99% credit card balance. You are going to pay more in fees.

I would not use this check. It just does not make financial sense unless you need to get your scores up in a hurry. Also, any card that has high util% you will get dinged for an individual account having a high util%.

The more the cards you have with individual high util%, the more of a ding.

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.