cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I have a correction made on my credit report? Or will it lower my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I have a correction made on my credit report? Or will it lower my score?

I've struggled for years with my credit, but I've finally gotten it in line.  I'm going to have under $5000 in credit left at the end of June, and I make a good enough salary for this to be something I can handle easily.  My main focus will be about $2200 of this on two accounts that I cancelled years ago when I was in trouble.  I plan on having them paid off by March 2010, which is when it will finally be 7 years since I made a late payment on any account.

I make about $47k a year now.

I will have under $5k in CC debit after all of the payments I'm making in June. (About $1200 total..with finance charges I'm thinking I'll really pay about $1000 off of the principals.)

My FICO score, which I checked with this site two weeks ago is an average of 709.

I'm wondering if I should report one of the mistakes on my report or not?  I want to apply for a mortgage for my first home, I'm a single women who will be 30 this year.

It is a double reporting of an account I have now with Chase (which was WaMu, and Providian before that), which is making it look like there is $1600 more than I actuall owe.

I was going to take care of this right away but I'm a little worried it will effect my score.  The accounts I have with Chase are both closed...so the credit isn't actually available to me, together the limit is just under $10k.  It looks like I have 3 of this accounts, not 2...for a total credit limit of $15k.

I'm worried also because Bank of America went ahead and closed a line of credit I've had since 9/2000 that I paid off in 12/2006 because I hadn't used it in two years (closed in 12/2008.)  I'm sure this has lowered my score a bit.

I have another card I've not used in years for a department store, which carries a $0 balance, and I will be going to make a small purchase this afternoon with it to make sure it remains open as it is now (I've had it since 1997 and I don't want it to close.)

The remainder of the $5000 credit is $2800 from Bank of America, which is an open account that I don't plan on using at all right now.

I'm current with all CC payments, as well as my student loan (which is large at $25k, but I have an interest rate of 1.625%, so my payments are not bad.)  I've not had any late payment since 2003 on my CC and NEVER on my student loan.

Should I report that mistake and have it removed before I go for a mortgage preaproval?  I'm at a loss.  I'm so upset about the line of credit being cancelled, but there isn't much I can do about it. 

I want to do the best thing possible because of applying for a mortgage, and 709 is a decent score for a lower mortage rate.

I'm not in a RUSH, as my parents will let me stay with them while I save more money up for downpayment and emergency funds...but being as it is the big 3-0 this year, I just can't take much more of this.  I need to get my own place, and I want to apply in about 6 weeks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I have a correction made on my credit report? Or will it lower my score?

I should mention that when the two scores were checked the scores were:

and

....so does it stand to reason that this mistake isn't 'hurting' me?  Considering that only one of the credit reports shows this mistake? Should I leave it be for now?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.