Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I have let the balance post?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I have let the balance post?

So question as I navigate this scoring and FICO mystery.......................

I charged over $2k on my Amex PRG purposely this month to meet the bonus spend.

I paid it before the statement date.

From an Amex internal standpoint, I am sure I am fine since they will be happy seeing spend and pay.

However, was that the wisest choice or should I have let it post so it showed as a carried balance this month for FICO and a PIF next month? 

How does NSL work with FICO?

Thanks for the insight and advise for next time wise ones!!!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I have let the balance post?

I should start out by saying that to carry a balance means to carry it over to the next billing cycle.

If you have another card reporting a balance, you did the right thing by zeroing your PRG card.

Message 2 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

I should start out by saying that to carry a balance means to carry it over to the next billing cycle.

If you have another card reporting a balance, you did the right thing by zeroing your PRG card.

Is it really the right thing to do? I think OP's question relates to how does a charge card get reflected in FICO scoring if it reports a balance. I thought there is a difference in how it is handled, because there is no stated credit limit. Rather than have the account report $2k with no visible limit, and have it appear as 100% utilization or worse, I thought FICO handled that charge card in a different manner?

And for long term usage, I don't think it is the right thing to zero all cards but one. It leads to misunderstandings by certain banks that are easily spooked by sudden appearance of balances. Best to let cards report balances like normal people use their cards, then PIF by the payment due date.

For getting a few extra points on the score short term, limiting the number of balances may be appropriate.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

Is it really the right thing to do? I think OP's question relates to how does a charge card get reflected in FICO scoring if it reports a balance. I thought there is a difference in how it is handled, because there is no stated credit limit. Rather than have the account report $2k with no visible limit, and have it appear as 100% utilization or worse, I thought FICO handled that charge card in a different manner?

And for long term usage, I don't think it is the right thing to zero all cards but one. It leads to misunderstandings by certain banks that are easily spooked by sudden appearance of balances. Best to let cards report balances like normal people use their cards, then PIF by the payment due date.

For getting a few extra points on the score short term, limiting the number of balances may be appropriate.

I've done it for years and nary a peep out of any issuer.

My experience only. YMMV.

Message 4 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

True, if the cards constantly stay at zero, there are no balances for any bank to have issues with, but have you run up balances recently? I'm thinking maybe not Smiley Happy

Having zeros and then starting to show balances is not a certainty to lead to AA, but in the case of files that don't have a lot of history (yours has extensive good history) the skitishness of particular lenders can be predicted.

One should thus weigh the intended "perfection" of the file, adding those precious extra points, vs the intent of having the credit in the first place, to borrow at good rates.

A constant debate, I know, but part of "understanding FICO".

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 5 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

True, if the cards constantly stay at zero, there are no balances for any bank to have issues with, but have you run up balances recently? I'm thinking maybe not Smiley Happy

Having zeros and then starting to show balances is not a certainty to lead to AA, but in the case of files that don't have a lot of history (yours has extensive good history) the skitishness of particular lenders can be predicted.

One should thus weigh the intended "perfection" of the file, adding those precious extra points, vs the intent of having the credit in the first place, to borrow at good rates.

A constant debate, I know, but part of "understanding FICO".

Back when I was testing things nobody blinked when I suddenly maxxed out my BCP at 3K and then 9K after I got a CLI.  This was 3ish and 9ish months after a spree and in my second year of credit building with a couple of tax liens, collections, and lates on my report, certainly 1 year AAOA at that point so I don't think the long / thick file makes that much difference.

An instant in time balance I think means virtually nothing to banks assuming they have any knowledge of your income (which you have to state) or assets (which some ask for).  If you carry that balance month to month and that hasn't been a pattern previously, then I agree they might get spooked but one time / one off, w/e.  BOFA is the only only one I ever had an issue with when I let a balance float one month (high balance setting) by only paying a couple hundred on it and they nearly declined my graduation as a result.  Was secured and I was hoping to graduate with the full 5K after making an additional 3K deposit in thinking I needed to demonstrate use to justify it... only graduated me with $2500 after an internal reconsideration apparently.  Whoops.

I absolutely subscribe to the needle in a haystack theory and try to mimic a "normal" consumer as much as possible; as such unless I'm prepping an app I tend to let balances fall where they will, but I also don't spend a tremendous amount either as a general rule... a description of frugal is likely charitable most months Cat Tongue

@OP: I would've let that balance report personally, I like other lenders to see a historical high balance to let them know I have used the card and paid it off responsibly in hopes they may want my business (I'm profitable, really!), but honestly I don't know if that really makes any difference so I may just be doing it for non-essential style points.

        
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

"@OP: I would've let that balance report personally, I like other lenders to see a historical high balance to let them know I have used the card and paid it off responsibly in hopes they may want my business (I'm profitable, really!), but honestly I don't know if that really makes any difference so I may just be doing it for non-essential style points."

That is exactly what I though of AFTER I hit the pay now button!  LOL, oh well.  Not like I wont get another chance to show "responsible usage"......I'm just now trying to garden and pick the weeds.

THANKS!!!

Message 7 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Paying before statement cut is not irresponsible card handling, so you have that going for you Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Paying before statement cut is not irresponsible card handling, so you have that going for you Smiley Happy

Some may not agree, lol.

Message 9 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

Some may not agree, lol.

Sigh, that thread again? Smiley Happy

        
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.