cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I re-finance auto loan to pay down revolving balances to boost FICO score?

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I re-finance auto loan to pay down revolving balances to boost FICO score?

KISS. Pay the credit cards off and pass on any new accounts. 
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I re-finance auto loan to pay down revolving balances to boost FICO score?

Will this auto re-fi be your only installment loan? If so, I think you'll have an immediate increase in points due to lower utilization, in spite of any ding for new account and inquiry. Then in 6 months or so, after the account has aged a bit you should see another bump in score. Within a year your scores should be well ahead of where they are now. IME = in my experience Smiley Wink
Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 06-24-2009 04:22 PM
Message 12 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

smallfry wrote:

Unless I blinked and missed something (entirely possible), the debate is moving debt from a low-CL HELOC that gets included in OP's revolving util to an auto re-fi installment loan that goes to installment util. No CC's involved.

And then, of course, pay off the loan. Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 14
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

Unless I blinked and missed something (entirely possible), the debate is moving debt from a low-CL HELOC that gets included in OP's revolving util to an auto re-fi installment loan that goes to installment util. No CC's involved.

And then, of course, pay off the loan. Smiley Very Happy

I guess I missed something. Oops.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.