cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I remove myself as Authorized User on maxxed out account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I remove myself as Authorized User on maxxed out account?

As the title states, I am trying to see if I should remove myself as an authorized user on a Lowes credit card account. The card is at about 90% of its limit. I have two smaller cards with near zero balance. Will removing myself from the lowes card help or hurt my score? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I remove myself as Authorized User on maxxed out account?

It depends.  Is the utilization on the maxed out AU account being factored into your overall utilization?  If so, it's certainly hurting your utilization.  How old are your other accounts and how old is the Lowe's AU account?  Typically AU accounts are used for increasing AAoA, so I would assume the Lowe's account is significantly older than your other ones?  You'd have to do some AAoA math here to see where you'd stand with/without the AU account.  As far as utilization goes though, I'm wondering if the maxed out account is even being factored in for you?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The lowes card is in the middle of the two other account as far as age goes. The balance is definitely being factored into my utilization.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are those the only 3 accounts you have on your credit reports (open OR closed)?  When you say in the middle of, can you give the ages of the 3 accounts and any other accounts that may be on your reports?  What are the credit limits of the 3 accounts?

Message 4 of 7
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

The maxed out card is hurting you more than dropping down to just 2 cards.
NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 5 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MrsCHX wrote:
The maxed out card is hurting you more than dropping down to just 2 cards.

Agreed. OP should get off that card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would immediately exit stage left on any maxxed out card as an AU! Once you are removed it should show as closed and zero balance, but you hopefully have added more on time payments to your profile.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.