cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I remove myself as an Authorized User?

tag
madcat2k3
New Visitor

Should I remove myself as an Authorized User?

Here's my situation. I was added as an authorized user to her card by my wife, in 2012. We divorced 2013 and since I had no credit before hand, this was the only thing on my credit report until late 2013. I started to build my credit since then so my accounts are generally 5 months old or so, except for that one which is like 1.8 years. It makes my AAoA or whatever it is called 8 months. My newest account is 2 months old so I vary between 2-6 months. So yeah I don't have much credit life, and I guess it would show like 3 months or so if I removed myself as an auth user on her account. I don't plan to apply for anything in the next 8 months or so though.

Now here is what is prompting me to want to remove myself.

First we are now divorced, and it was in no way a friendly divorce. Don't talk to her, we basically hate each other.

Second is the card util is 95%. This brings all my accounts to 50% util. Second, she has moved country the last 2 months and is building her life elsewhere with a new husband (long story but he is half the reason why we divorced). Anyway, guess what? I looked at my report today and there's already a missed payment. I now believe she is going to just abandon the account and let it go, since she never misses payments on her accounts even if she does drive herself into debt. I don't want to be connected to such an account obviously if that's the road it's going down.

So should I wait a few months, or just try and get my name removed off the card now? The missed payments/util/etc are going to do more damage than good, right, if I keep it? I guess that was my main question. Wait a bit or get rid of it asap?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
avggoal700
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I remove myself as an Authorized User?

Don't walk run.  ASAP.

EX 706. TU 705 EQ 682. Avg 698
Message 2 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

I'd bail as quickly as you can.

Message 3 of 9
madcat2k3
New Visitor

Ok I called the credit card company and they said my SSN isn't connected to it and there's not much they can do... Um, ok...I said, then how the heck is it listed on ALL 3 of my credit reports that I am an authorized user. I guess it just magically appeared on there. 

What's up with that? What's my next step?

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1 on removal for the scoring issues.

An additional benefit may be if you app for credit where the lendor will do a more thorough manual review, which is common when seeking higher levels of credit.

Presence of an AU in your CR automatically means any score is not representative of only your own credit history.

Creditors have no way to back-out the effect of the AU on your score should they wish to see a score representative of only your own history.

Thus, it might result in your score having less value to them in their determination.

Message 5 of 9
onepointatatime
Contributor

@avggoal700 wrote:

Don't walk run.  ASAP.

+1

Run for the hills!  The damage that payment history will have on your FICO score (35% of your FICO) is much greater than the damage of your AAoA going down slightly (btw AAoA is only 15% of your score)

Sep 2013: mid 500s | Sep 2014: myfico: EX 539 | EQ 594 | TU 694 || My Rebuilding Journey
myfico, 12/3/2015: EX 666 | EQ 677 | TU 689 | AAoA : 3y | INQs (12/24) EX 11/13 | EQ 5/9 | TU 4/7
Cards: Chase Sapphire Pref. $6K | BoA Travel Rewards $1.6K | Cap1 QS Rewards $7.5K | Priceline $0.5K | Credit Union $2K | Total (5) Revolving CLs: $17.6K
Goal Score 2015: FICO08 800+
Message 6 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You can be added as an AU even without a SSN. 

If the accounts arent removed by the next reporting cycle then you might have to dispute with CRAs to get them removed. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 9
onepointatatime
Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

You can be added as an AU even without a SSN. 

If the accounts arent removed by the next reporting cycle then you might have to dispute with CRAs to get them removed. 

Hi, do you know how to do that with AMEX? It seems like do add an AU on AMEX, the form forces you to insert an SSN otherwise it won't go forward... However, I have seen some cards (PayPal debit card) that let you add AUs without SSNs.  Were you referring to those exceptions, or are you implying that there are ways to add AUs on any cards?  If so, how?

Sep 2013: mid 500s | Sep 2014: myfico: EX 539 | EQ 594 | TU 694 || My Rebuilding Journey
myfico, 12/3/2015: EX 666 | EQ 677 | TU 689 | AAoA : 3y | INQs (12/24) EX 11/13 | EQ 5/9 | TU 4/7
Cards: Chase Sapphire Pref. $6K | BoA Travel Rewards $1.6K | Cap1 QS Rewards $7.5K | Priceline $0.5K | Credit Union $2K | Total (5) Revolving CLs: $17.6K
Goal Score 2015: FICO08 800+
Message 8 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

My point was only that creditors can add you as an AU with only your name & address, and likewise update your credit reports.  

Each creditor sets their policy in terms of what information is required. 

AMEX has additional cardmembers rather than AUs.  Additional cardmember can be held liable for their charges. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.