Reply
Blogger
HiLine
Posts: 2,836
Registered: ‎10-19-2012

Significant score drop from crossing 50% threshold?

New balances on two of my cards reported a couple of days ago, increasing the utilization on those cards from just under 50% to 68%, and from 34% to 52% respectively and overall utilization from 7% to 9%. The result was a 15 points drop in my ScoreWatch FICO score (can never remember which scoring model is used here). None of my other cards is reporting a balance. 

 

I'm going to bet that the impact of 7% to 9% overall utilization is minimal, so it must be the individual balances crossing certain thresholds that caused the significant score drop. Since both cards crossed 50%, I think this is likely a threshold. Anyone else had a similar experience with a 50% threshold? 

Established Contributor
lhcole77
Posts: 978
Registered: ‎09-18-2012

Re: Significant score drop from crossing 50% threshold?

I have had the same experience in the past. And from my experience it seems that Experian is especially sensitive to crossing the threshold.

The credit monitoring service I subscribe to through Wells Fargo has a really good calculator built into it. It allows you to run what if scenarios. Every time I do this I noticed that when I crossed the 50% threshold scores dropped.



EX08 FICO 738. EQ08 FICO 736. TU08 FICO 732.
Blogger
HiLine
Posts: 2,836
Registered: ‎10-19-2012

Re: Significant score drop from crossing 50% threshold?

[ Edited ]

lhcole77 wrote:
I have had the same experience in the past. And from my experience it seems that Experian is especially sensitive to crossing the threshold.

The credit monitoring service I subscribe to through Wells Fargo has a really good calculator built into it. It allows you to run what if scenarios. Every time I do this I noticed that when I crossed the 50% threshold scores dropped.

The Wells Fargo calculator is an interesting observation. Next month I shall bring the utilization on one of my cards down to below 50% and see what impact that will have on my score! :smileyhappy:

Established Contributor
lhcole77
Posts: 978
Registered: ‎09-18-2012

Re: Significant score drop from crossing 50% threshold?

Good thinking. Do you subscribe to a service as well?



EX08 FICO 738. EQ08 FICO 736. TU08 FICO 732.
Senior Contributor
DaBears
Posts: 3,923
Registered: ‎10-26-2012

Re: Significant score drop from crossing 50% threshold?


HiLine wrote:

New balances on two of my cards reported a couple of days ago, increasing the utilization on those cards from just under 50% to 68%, and from 34% to 52% respectively and overall utilization from 7% to 9%. The result was a 15 points drop in my ScoreWatch FICO score (can never remember which scoring model is used here). None of my other cards is reporting a balance. 

 

I'm going to bet that the impact of 7% to 9% overall utilization is minimal, so it must be the individual balances crossing certain thresholds that caused the significant score drop. Since both cards crossed 50%, I think this is likely a threshold. Anyone else had a similar experience with a 50% threshold? 


Beacon 5.0 for Score Watch 

Blogger
HiLine
Posts: 2,836
Registered: ‎10-19-2012

Re: Significant score drop from crossing 50% threshold?


lhcole77 wrote:
Good thinking. Do you subscribe to a service as well?

I have Score Watch. The new balance decrease alert feature is going to help :smileywink:

DaBears: Beacon 5.0 it is. Thanks for the info!

Established Contributor
lhcole77
Posts: 978
Registered: ‎09-18-2012

Re: Significant score drop from crossing 50% threshold?

Looking forward to test results



EX08 FICO 738. EQ08 FICO 736. TU08 FICO 732.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+