Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Six month time frame to build FICO for USDA Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Six month time frame to build FICO for USDA Loan

Hi everyone. Iv'e learned alot from this forum and hope someone can help with my "situation". I am badly trying  to acquire a home by doing  a lease purchase with the owner/realtor for a period of 6 months -beginning in August, and actualy purchasing the home in Febuary thru the Rural Development program here in Ms. I spoke to a mortgage prof. in early May regarding this property and was told I would need a credit score of 620. My credit scores in early May were 599-T.U.  558-EXP. and 538 EQFAX.  *I got in a financial bind in Nov. 'and Dec. 09 and fell 60 days behind on one credit card , a 2nd mortgage, and my car payment.  **Everything has been current since January and Iv'e taken out no new loans or borrowed from my credit cards. The second mortgage is also pd. in full. I have 3 credit cards -Cap.1 credit limit 2,500 balance 2,230  HSBC -credit limit 1,400 balance 1,080  and Orchard Bank credit limit 500 balance 340. My question is, if I'm able to  pay these three cards  down to say 30%  of each ones credit limit within the next 3 months would it be "reasonable" to expect a big enough jump from FICO to obtain that target score of 620 from at least two of the three bureaus by Febuary '11 ?  **Sorry to be "long winded" but wanted to be as detailed as I could.  I apreciate any and all advice-THANKS!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Six month time frame to build FICO for USDA Loan

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone. Iv'e learned alot from this forum and hope someone can help with my "situation". I am badly trying  to acquire a home by doing  a lease purchase with the owner/realtor for a period of 6 months -beginning in August, and actualy purchasing the home in Febuary thru the Rural Development program here in Ms. I spoke to a mortgage prof. in early May regarding this property and was told I would need a credit score of 620. My credit scores in early May were 599-T.U.  558-EXP. and 538 EQFAX.  *I got in a financial bind in Nov. 'and Dec. 09 and fell 60 days behind on one credit card , a 2nd mortgage, and my car payment.  **Everything has been current since January and Iv'e taken out no new loans or borrowed from my credit cards. The second mortgage is also pd. in full. I have 3 credit cards -Cap.1 credit limit 2,500 balance 2,230  HSBC -credit limit 1,400 balance 1,080  and Orchard Bank credit limit 500 balance 340. My question is, if I'm able to  pay these three cards  down to say 30%  of each ones credit limit within the next 3 months would it be "reasonable" to expect a big enough jump from FICO to obtain that target score of 620 from at least two of the three bureaus by Febuary '11 ?  **Sorry to be "long winded" but wanted to be as detailed as I could.  I apreciate any and all advice-THANKS!

Welcome to the forums!

One thing I will ask is where did you get your scores? No one has been able to pull their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myfico. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Equifax score at www.equifax.com (If you look hard enough) and your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores were pulled from a local mortgage company to see where i stood at that time. The company supplying the scores was Credit Technologies Inc. and YES , it shows scores and credit history from all 3 reporting bureaus-I'm looking at it now.....

Message 3 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If you paid each CC and got each to report a 30% utilization on each, I don't think you'll hit 620. You might hit it with TU, but you'll be short for EQ and EX. However, I bet if you paid 2 of the 3 off, and got the remaining to hit 30%, then you'll see 70 points, give or take.

Utilization is a snap shot of what your balances are in relation to the CL at that moment. It'll have the same impact per your score if you do it tomorrow or February.

Message 4 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores were pulled from a local mortgage company to see where i stood at that time. The company supplying the scores was Credit Technologies Inc. and YES , it shows scores and credit history from all 3 reporting bureaus-I'm looking at it now.....

Then they should be accurate.

Message 5 of 12
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

If you paid each CC and got each to report a 30% utilization on each, I don't think you'll hit 620. You might hit it with TU, but you'll be short for EQ and EX. However, I bet if you paid 2 of the 3 off, and got the remaining to hit 30%, then you'll see 70 points, give or take.

2230 / 2500 = 89%
1080 / 1400 = 77%
340 / 500 = 68%

Down to 30% on each card:

2500 * .3 = 750
1400 * .3 = 420
500 * .3 = 150

(2230 - 750) + (1080 - 420) + (340 - 150) = $2330

Down to 30% on one and down to $0 on two:

(2230 - 750) + (1080 - 0) + (340 - 0) = $2900

Balance on one card is (2230 - 750) = $1480.

Lowest percentage across the board paying same $ amount:

(2500 * (.89 - x)) + (1400 * (.77 - x)) + (500 * (.68 - x)) = $2900

x = 0.17

Assuming the above calculations are correct (haven't had my first cup of coffee), it boils down to this:

How far down would you need to bring the balance and util on a card before the benefit of having only that one card report a balance outweighs its high balance and util compared to equal utils across the board?

Is 30% ($1480) 0% 0% better than 17% 17% 17%?

I'd probably go for the latter given 30% is a relatively high util and $1480 is a relatively high $ amount.

My threshold would be something like $1000 and 3 x 9%.

I could be wrong of course Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

FICO likes to see $0 balances. Here's a good example:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Score-impact-of-going-from-89-util-to-lt-...

I'm paying down my util to get it to report as close to 0% as possible, assuming everyone reports when they should. In TU, between 7/1 and 7/8 for TU, my util only went down 3% (89% to 86%). But my TU FICO went up 15 points. I believe that was due to having 11 CCs report a balance to 9 CCs. It went from more than half of the TLs reporting a balance to under half. Same applies for EQ between the 1st and the 15th.

I bet if OP brought 2 of them to 0%, he'd see large gains, especially if there's a red flag next to the # of TLs reporting a balance.

Message 7 of 12
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Let me illustrate my point. It seems unlikely that a $5000/$5000 $0/$5000 combo is better than $2500/$5000 $2500/$5000 combo. There's no way FICO likes to see $0 balances that much!

My theory is that the key threshold is where the score increase of having one balance only outweighs the score decrease of having that one considerable balance and its util.

I don't know where that threshold is. When I zeroed the first of three credit card balances, I got a 27 point increase for $13. When I zeroed the second, I got only a 7 point increase for $1300.

That made positively no sense to me, because the important thing that I have read about this is to bring the number of cards with a balance down to less than half.

Chances are I'll never know why Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 12
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Let me illustrate my point. It seems unlikely that a $5000/$5000 $0/$5000 combo is better than $2500/$5000 $2500/$5000 combo. There's no way FICO likes to see $0 balances that much!

My theory is that the key threshold is where the score increase of having one balance only outweighs the score decrease of having that one considerable balance and its util.

I don't know where that threshold is. When I zeroed the first of three credit card balances, I got a 27 point increase for $13. When I zeroed the second, I got only a 7 point increase for $1300.

That made positively no sense to me, because the important thing that I have read about this is to bring the number of cards with a balance down to less than half.

Chances are I'll never know why Smiley Sad

i think it only works if you have more than 2-3 cards.

Message 9 of 12
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@laz98 wrote:
I think it only works if you have more than 2-3 cards.

Could be. I had 3 cards at the time.

DW had 4 though. She got an increase of 13 points by zeroing her second card, but only about 5 points by zeroing the third.

What we had in common was that entering a situation of having just 2 cards with a plus balance resulted in a much larger score increase than after that entering a situation of having just 1 card with a plus balance.

I actually consider that good news, because if you keep it at 1 card, but a 2nd card slips through one month, it's not a big deal.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.