cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone from support said the 3 Mortgage credit scores are only educational. What's the deal?

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Someone from support said the 3 Mortgage credit scores are only educational. What's the deal?

Rather than being wrong, it could be just a matter of semantics and a misunderstanding. 

"Educational" could mean in this context that the reports that a CONSUMER pulls are in fact to educate the consumer as to not only the scores involved, but the detailed information in the reports.  One would not necessarily expect that a consumer would pull their reports, print them out, and take them to a lender and say "here's my reports, give me a loan".  Such a printout could be manipulated so as to reflect incorrect information, that would favour the consumer.  Thus, such reports, to the consumer, are "educational", for their use solely.  

A lender, on the other hand, will be pulling the reports for a business reason.  They don't need to be "educated", they need hard data on which to make a decision, based on their own underwriting criteria.  Exact same reports, just for their files and decision making.  

Educational reports versus Business reports.  Same reports/same information.  Like I said, matter of semantics.  CSR was not necessarily wrong. 

ETA:  Also, rather than looking to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau or other outside agency, why not simply report the situation to MyFICO management?  They can review the circumstances, and if necessary, re-train the CSR in question to use different wording.  Problem solved.  

Message 11 of 12
Aahz
Established Contributor

Re: Someone from support said the 3 Mortgage credit scores are only educational. What's the deal?

@thom02099 wrote:

Rather than being wrong, it could be just a matter of semantics and a misunderstanding. 

"Educational" could mean in this context that the reports that a CONSUMER pulls are in fact to educate the consumer as to not only the scores involved, but the detailed information in the reports.  One would not necessarily expect that a consumer would pull their reports, print them out, and take them to a lender and say "here's my reports, give me a loan".  Such a printout could be manipulated so as to reflect incorrect information, that would favour the consumer.  Thus, such reports, to the consumer, are "educational", for their use solely.  

A lender, on the other hand, will be pulling the reports for a business reason.  They don't need to be "educated", they need hard data on which to make a decision, based on their own underwriting criteria.  Exact same reports, just for their files and decision making.  

Educational reports versus Business reports.  Same reports/same information.  Like I said, matter of semantics.  CSR was not necessarily wrong. 

ETA:  Also, rather than looking to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau or other outside agency, why not simply report the situation to MyFICO management?  They can review the circumstances, and if necessary, re-train the CSR in question to use different wording.  Problem solved.  

+1

Thanks for saving me all that typing thom!  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.