Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something seems fishy...

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Something seems fishy...

I'm sure if you work it through with support and exercise some patience they will get to the bottom of the problem.
Message 11 of 29
PrimeRisk
Valued Member

I do have a significant amount of patience on working through issues on a customer support line.  I manage the Tier 2 and 3 support groups for my company's ERP systems.  I also have a great appreciation for what it is like to be on the receiving end of a customer support call.  I don't, however, have a lot of tolerence for receiving a form letter that does not resolve the issue coupled with a summary closure of the ticket forcing me to start from square one again.

I missed a call back from customer support and received a voicemail saying they had gotten to the bottom of the issue and to call back.  I have called back, but the person who called me was not available.  The CSR offered to read me the summary of the notes in my file instead.  She read, nearly verbatim, the form letter I received yesterday.  I let her know that she was reading from the same form letter that I had already received and that I needed to talk to the person who had called.  They have notated my account for callback and I am hopeful that the voicemail I received stating they had gotten to the bottom of the issue is not just the verbal equivalent of the form letter.

Starting Score: 687 - 5/19/04
Current Score: 769 - 5/18/14
Peak Score: 797 - 2/15/13
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 29
PrimeRisk
Valued Member

I was able to talk to the CSR, Kimtrel (SP?), that had left me the voicemail message.  We spent 25 minutes on the phone going through the data and the changes again.  She was very friendly and took time to pour over the report data and conferred with her supervisor.  At the end of all of this, her conclusion was that there was nothing wrong with the TransUnion report, so the score is correct.  The only explanation provided is that the changes were not significant enough to cause the score to change.  She said that from the numbers she'd think there was a change, but that wasn't always the case.

The bottom line is there isn't an explanation to my suspicions and I don't have any proof anything is actually wrong.  I've apparently been able to crush the odds of hitting three identical scores in a row.

I'm going to go by a lotto ticket now.

Message 13 of 29
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Why don't you send Barry a PM?
Message 14 of 29
PrimeRisk
Valued Member

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not sure what else could be done...  I feel that I've gotten all of the answer I am likely to get from MyFICO. 

As a side note, WaMu/Chase issued a new FICO based on TransUnion with a 8/12 days (5 days before my last MyFICO score) and it dropped from 793 to 775.  Of course this is just a score, no report or other interpretations as provided by MyFICO.  For some reason, it takes WaMu/MyFICO 7-10 days to post the score on the site.  

Message 15 of 29
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The WaMu PFICO score was always a month behind, too.
Message 16 of 29
PrimeRisk
Valued Member

Ok, just for some sanity I've forked over for a Equifax score through MyFICO and it's come back as a 780 and the only negative factor is an account that I opened 14 months ago. 

This sheds some light on what might be odd with my TU score.  Something is certainly off.  When I was talking to the CSR I couldn't get a straight answer on why I couldn't calculate the % revolving credit utilization that they were calculating unless I counted my HELOC into the equasion.  They said that they counted it in the model however the CRA reports it.  The discrepancy was that the HELOC balance by itself is higher than the total revolving line listed in my TU report and its balance is obviously counted in the mortgages balance. 

NOW, here's the Equifax score and the % utilization on revolving TLs are on the money, well at least I can match the number they're coming up with at least.  This cuts the revolving line utilization by 50% over the TU score down to 15%.  And 3 months ago this would have taken it to ~7.5%.  (I got caught by the non-usage closure wave and lost 3 revolving TLs.)

So there appears to be a cross wiring of my HELOC between Mortage Balances and Revolving % utilizations.  I don't know, maybe that's a side-effect of using an 11 year old scoring model (TU is still on a '98 model unless I'm mistaken)  I at least feel better knowing that my EQ score is more consistent with the WaMu score.

Maybe I should abandon the Quarterly Monitoring product based on the older TU model and move to the Score Watch product that is based on the Equifax report and is using a 2004 model.  Does anyone have any opinions/thoughts you'd like to share on these two products?

Message 17 of 29
smallfry
Senior Contributor

You'll find it chaper just to buy the Equifax score with the discounts available every quarter. Abandon the TU product altogether.
Message 18 of 29
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@PrimeRisk wrote:

Ok, just for some sanity I've forked over for a Equifax score through MyFICO and it's come back as a 780 and the only negative factor is an account that I opened 14 months ago. 

This sheds some light on what might be odd with my TU score.  Something is certainly off.  When I was talking to the CSR I couldn't get a straight answer on why I couldn't calculate the % revolving credit utilization that they were calculating unless I counted my HELOC into the equasion.  They said that they counted it in the model however the CRA reports it.  The discrepancy was that the HELOC balance by itself is higher than the total revolving line listed in my TU report and its balance is obviously counted in the mortgages balance. 

NOW, here's the Equifax score and the % utilization on revolving TLs are on the money, well at least I can match the number they're coming up with at least.  This cuts the revolving line utilization by 50% over the TU score down to 15%.  And 3 months ago this would have taken it to ~7.5%.  (I got caught by the non-usage closure wave and lost 3 revolving TLs.)

So there appears to be a cross wiring of my HELOC between Mortage Balances and Revolving % utilizations.  I don't know, maybe that's a side-effect of using an 11 year old scoring model (TU is still on a '98 model unless I'm mistaken)  I at least feel better knowing that my EQ score is more consistent with the WaMu score.

Maybe I should abandon the Quarterly Monitoring product based on the older TU model and move to the Score Watch product that is based on the Equifax report and is using a 2004 model.  Does anyone have any opinions/thoughts you'd like to share on these two products?

Score Watch from either myFICO or EQ directly is a nice choice. That's what I use.

Message 19 of 29
Desert-Rat
Regular Contributor

I had the same problem.  Couldn't get utl to jive.  Finally found the answer.  This will explain it better than I possibly could:

Go to search at the top left, type in "heloc revolving" (no quotes)

Lots of information there.  Unless your HELOC is the 40-50K range, it reports as revolving, thereby killing utilization.

D-R

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.