Reply
Contributor
crocpa
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎06-09-2007
0

Somethings you might not know about how FICO is calculated

  • How many and what types of credit accounts do you have? Although it is generally good to have established credit accounts, too many credit card accounts may have a negative effect on your score. In addition, many models consider the type of credit accounts you have. For example, under some scoring models, loans from finance companies may negatively affect your credit score.

Scoring models may be based on more than just information in your credit report. For example, the model may consider information from your credit application as well: your job or occupation, length of employment, or whether you own a home.

To improve your credit score under most models, concentrate on paying your bills on time, paying down outstanding balances, and not taking on new debt. It’s likely to take some time to improve your score significantly

Super Contributor
MidnightVoice
Posts: 8,158
Registered: ‎03-25-2007
0

Re: Somethings you might not know about how FICO is calculated

Don't forget that applies to "scoring models".
 
In the case of the most important scoring model (Thanks to Tusk):
 

What types of information are NOT used in calculating my FICO score?


1. Your race, color, religion, national origin, sex or marital status


2. Your age


3. Your salary, occupation, title, employer, date employed or employment history


4. Where you live


5. Certain types of inquiries such as promotional, account review, insurance or employment related inquiries


6. Any information not found in your credit file


7. Any information that is not proven to be a predictive of future credit performance

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Senior Contributor
ilovepizza
Posts: 3,071
Registered: ‎05-17-2007
0

Re: Somethings you might not know about how FICO is calculated

I only worry about FICO for the moment. I know some of the things I do to raise my FICO will lower other model scores. It can be true about jobs with other models too. Gieco would not give me a quote unless they could title my job position in the computer. I wanted to give them some answer like Freedom Frog Sweeper to throw them off, but they should have a category for misc/unknown.
If we never set higher goals we would never get as far.
sol, credit 101, acr, abbreviations, calc
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice
Posts: 8,158
Registered: ‎03-25-2007
0

Re: Somethings you might not know about how FICO is calculated



ilovepizza wrote:
 Gieco would not give me a quote unless they could title my job position in the computer. I wanted to give them some answer like Freedom Frog Sweeper to throw them off, but they should have a category for misc/unknown.

I am not sure Gieco would insure someone who did not know what their job was  :smileyhappy:
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Senior Contributor
ilovepizza
Posts: 3,071
Registered: ‎05-17-2007
0

Re: Somethings you might not know about how FICO is calculated

I wonder how many people in other score systems (like auto) that base risk information take in to account that people like me do things to improve their scores? My FICO score went up a lot, and my auto risk score went way down. I was only applying for credit to improve my score, while they say people that apply for credit are higher auto risks? Sometimes I would like it if they would just score each of us alone rather than in a group. I don't really fit in and get burned by it.
If we never set higher goals we would never get as far.
sol, credit 101, acr, abbreviations, calc
Moderator Emeritus
fused
Posts: 16,351
Registered: ‎03-12-2007
0

Re: Somethings you might not know about how FICO is calculated



MidnightVoice wrote:


ilovepizza wrote:
 Gieco would not give me a quote unless they could title my job position in the computer. I wanted to give them some answer like Freedom Frog Sweeper to throw them off, but they should have a category for misc/unknown.

I am not sure Gieco would insure someone who did not know what their job was  :smileyhappy:


I disagree!  Don't you think they would insure a caveman!:smileysurprised:
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (08-22-2014): EQ 820, EX 817, TU 815
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1 (Amex 07-15-2014)

Senior Contributor
ilovepizza
Posts: 3,071
Registered: ‎05-17-2007
0

Re: Somethings you might not know about how FICO is calculated



fused111 wrote:


MidnightVoice wrote:


ilovepizza wrote:
Gieco would not give me a quote unless they could title my job position in the computer. I wanted to give them some answer like Freedom Frog Sweeper to throw them off, but they should have a category for misc/unknown.

I am not sure Gieco would insure someone who did not know what their job was :smileyhappy:


I disagree! Don't you think they would insure a caveman!:smileysurprised:



I heard the caveman saved money too :smileyhappy: I wonder what the other insurance companies quoted him? lol
If we never set higher goals we would never get as far.
sol, credit 101, acr, abbreviations, calc
Senior Contributor
Noah_Bodie
Posts: 4,635
Registered: ‎03-11-2007
0

Re: Somethings you might not know about how FICO is calculated



MidnightVoice wrote:

What types of information are NOT used in calculating my FICO score?

1. Your race, color, religion, national origin, sex or marital status

2. Your age

3. Your salary, occupation, title, employer, date employed or employment history

4. Where you live

5. Certain types of inquiries such as promotional, account review, insurance or employment related inquiries

6. Any information not found in your credit file

7. Any information that is not proven to be a predictive of future credit performance



For calculating your FICO score, true. However, to get a mortgage, more than a few of these items DO go into the calculation.
 
Date employed and employment history. In a nutshell, have you been in the same job for 2+ years and in the same career field for 5+ years.
 
Salary will definitely count for determining how much mortgage you can afford.
 
They will look specifically at util and number of CCs. You could have an 800 and a prime lender might ask you to pay everything down to X percent util and close cards.
 
Might want proof of X months income in the bank.
Frequent Contributor
MercyMe
Posts: 429
Registered: ‎04-07-2007
0

Re: Somethings you might not know about how FICO is calculated

Freedom Frog Sweeper, huh?  This made me laugh!  I once held the official position of Super Duper Pooper Scooper! Even wore a sign proclaiming the fact.  Of course, I was only about 10 years old, at the time, and following behind a proudly prancing assembly  of horses (not too closely I might add -- a lesson learned the hard way) bearing Yakima Indian tribal chiefs and wannabe warriors, in full leathered and feathered attire.  It's not something I am generally proud to admit to -- but your mention of Freedom Frog Sweeper brought it back to mind.   I made all of five bucks, for the half day's work.  I wonder how much a Freedom Frog Sweeper might be paid!  :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
crocpa
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎06-09-2007
0

Re: Somethings you might not know about how FICO is calculated

Does anybody know if Credit Watch plans to issue instant alerts regarding score changes?  This is a statement in their support section:
 
  • If a new Equifax report is obtained by the subscriber, and this new score represents a change from the previous score received via a Score Alert or Credit Alert, this new report is then considered the “Score Alert” for this score change and no other Score Alert will be sent for this particular change.  (This process will be changing shortly so that anytime there’s a score change a Score Alert will be sent, whether or not the subscriber has obtained a new Equifax report and score in the meantime.)

    • myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

      >> About myFICO
      FICO Score - The Score that matters
      Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
      Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
      FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+