Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soring System

tag
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Soring System

It's a minor adjustment to move from paying on the due date vs. just before the statement date, and you get the extra points for doing so.

A FICO score is not like a motor. It figures the possibility of one defaulting, therefore an 850 would say that there is 0% of an individual defaulting...not possible in my opinion.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Junejer wrote:
It's a minor adjustment to move from paying on the due date vs. just before the statement date, and you get the extra points for doing so.

A FICO score is not like a motor. It figures the possibility of one defaulting, therefore an 850 would say that there is 0% of an individual defaulting...not possible in my opinion.

Exactly. The Fico score vs. engine specs is a very poor analogy.

Fico scoring segments the population according to a risk model. It is not perfect, but it has more statistical testing behind it than any of the competitors, so it is still regarded as one of the best tools available. It gives banks and other lenders a numerical target - if a lender wants customers only in the top 10%, they can set a Fico score of aaa as their minimum. If they want the top 20%, they can set bbb as their minimum. And so on ...

A more useful analogy might be the SAT score. Not making a perfect score does not represent a failure. The SAT score is used along with other criteria to determine who is selected for admission to a particular school. Some schools may require a 1300 score, some a 1000 score, etc., just like some banks/CCCs look for 750+ Fico scores while others require only 700+ scores.

If a 790 score earns the best possible interest rate on a mortgage or auto loan, then the fact that it is not an 850 score makes zero difference. However, if someone does have a 790 score, there is probably some factor(s) in their credit history (age, credit mix, etc.) that are not quite earning them 100% of each scoring category, and keeping them from approaching 850. The formula is what it is. Some people do have 850 scores, it is not a mythical number.

And analyzing a formula that is not public IS a game, and that's just the way it is. Politics is a game. Progressing in an office environment is a game. Disputing incorrect info on a credit report is a game. Life forces everyone to play games all the time. It's not right, but learning to play the games will get a person a lot farther than fuming about the circumstances ... Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Revike on 02-16-2009 08:59 PM
Message 12 of 36
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

P.S. I've been in the computer business since we did it on punched cards. And we've always said that computers don't produce faulty data unless the progarm is faulty.

Actually bad data and bad hardware can also produce bad results.  In point of fact you would be blaming the algorithm, not the software used to process it.  It is unlikely that the software used to process the data is at fault.  In case you arw wondering, I have been a professional programmer (not college/highschool) since 1979.

Anyway back on point, in order to get to the upper score range of FICO scores you must make the effort to coordinate your payments and use of CCs.  LOL while sometimes not easy to do, it is very doable when you have a good foundation of a long credit history, no derog info, and the money to PIF each month.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 36
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Also, on another vein, saying that a score of say 790 out of 850 is good would be like saying that someone should be happy if a motor delivered to them and stated to have an output of 1 horsepower was found to actually have an output of only 0.929 horsepower. Maybe usable but certainly now what they have a right to expect. I certainly would be in trouble if I gave a student a 93 and told them they needed to buy special paper if they wanted 100. In my engineering world 790 (93) out of 850 (100) wouldn't allow you to keep your job very long or be invited to work on the next product.

Not really, because a score 0f 760 plus gets you the same as a score of 840.  Once one is over 760 on all three CRs, then the rest is just for fun!

And almost no-one can be considered zero risk for defaulting in this day and age!

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 14 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I beg to differ with you but I know of NO COMPUTER that incorporates an algorithm such as this in hardware.If it's not in hardware it has to be in software. I you can program a computer to apply an algorithm without having the algorithm in software I'd welcome you to write a program for my next UHF antenna propagation chart.

Also I beg to differ with you. If say 790 is as good as 850 then why have 850?

Also SAT scores are actually very qualitative. The question is either right or wrong.

Message Edited by Prof on 02-17-2009 11:46 AM
Message 15 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think it's a MINOR adjustment. Unless you don't  mind bringing up an accounting program and writing two checks probably 7 or 8 times a month. The first to write a check to the card company for some amount that you have only some idea of what it's going to be since you have no REAL way of knowing what's going to be on the card until the account closes. Then write another check to transfer the amount from the interest bearing account to the main checking account. Then do the same thing again 2 or 3 days later. Also the interest bearing account will ding you if you have more than three transactions in a statement month.

Has anyone tried keeping a credit balance of say $20.00 in the credit card account. This way they couldn't show a payment due when they print the card. I do this with my cable company as they bill at an odd date that can't be changed. This way the account never goes into a balance due and I avoid their late fees each month.

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dispute that having a 790 is as good as having an 850. I know, from experience that my insurance carrier has a lower rate for an 850 than they do for even an 840. Granted it's small but it's still there. Also I bet that if I went for a loan with a score of 850 I'd be able to negotiate a better interest rate than with a 790. I talked to my bank today and they said YES they'd be much more open to rate negotiation with an 850 person over a 790 person everything elas being equal.
Message 17 of 36
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

With all due respect prof, I think you are making this thing too complicated. Many members here do this. I am able to check my balances online and pay my CCs online as well. I just did this the other day. A couple of days before the statement closed, I went online and made the payment. I know that there were no other charges pending, so the balance will be reported as $0. If I were to choose, I could've left $10 on this card, to get a balance to report. Then, on the due date, or before, I could pay the remaining $10, thus avoiding interest charges. In my HY accounts, I can make six transfers per month.

Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad HARDWARE does not produce bad data. It produces a machine check, which in turn produces a BSOD. (Blue Screen of Death).

Message 19 of 36
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, I was a VP in Commercial Lending, and quite frankly, I was able to negotiate rate with my customers, based off of their relationship with us, versus the FICO score. So, if a customer had a great, long-standing relationship with us, and has borrowed and paid off millions of dollars in the past and they had a score of 740, I would give them a much better rate than a brand new customer to the bank, with no track record and an 840 FICO score.

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.