Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax Liens

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

State Tax Liens

Okay, I am really lost as is what is going on with my FICO score (EQ).  I had 2 state tax liens removed from my credit report yesterday.  They were less than 2 years old and were filed in error, so I would have assumed that by having these removed, it would have made a huge jump in my score but NOTHING???

I doubt that I fell into a different "bucket" because I also have a paid judgment from 2005 on there as well.  (Homeowner Association dues - moved and wasn't notified).

We are selling our home and purchasing another one, this led to my credit checking and error finding.  To top it all off, about 3 weeks ago they removed 5 Sallie Mae accounts that were wrongfully listed as derrogatory and changed the status to PIF - never late.  EQ raised my score by a rediculous 8 points for 5 accounts!

TU raised my score by 57 points for the removal of all items and EX raised my score by 27 but EQ was only 8 for the 5 Sallie Mae accounts and NONE for the liens. 

Can anyone explain that madness???  Does it take several weeks for your FICO to update?  I thought it was instant?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: State Tax Liens

Yes, it can easily take a month or more. First the credtor must update the info and then send it to the CRA,  Then the CRA must run the update data into their credit files.
Your credit score can only change based upon your updated credit file.  Most creditor only report data to the CRAs once a month. No, they dont do it daily, or even weekly.
So dont expect instaneous reporting.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-25-2008 12:14 AM
Message 2 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

inpacers wrote:
Okay, I am really lost as is what is going on with my FICO score (EQ).  I had 2 state tax liens removed from my credit report yesterday.  They were less than 2 years old and were filed in error, so I would have assumed that by having these removed, it would have made a huge jump in my score but NOTHING???

I doubt that I fell into a different "bucket" because I also have a paid judgment from 2005 on there as well.  (Homeowner Association dues - moved and wasn't notified).

We are selling our home and purchasing another one, this led to my credit checking and error finding.  To top it all off, about 3 weeks ago they removed 5 Sallie Mae accounts that were wrongfully listed as derrogatory and changed the status to PIF - never late.  EQ raised my score by a rediculous 8 points for 5 accounts!

TU raised my score by 57 points for the removal of all items and EX raised my score by 27 but EQ was only 8 for the 5 Sallie Mae accounts and NONE for the liens. 

Can anyone explain that madness???  Does it take several weeks for your FICO to update?  I thought it was instant?

What are your scores now? Other than the judgment, what other bad stuff is on your reports and how old? Do you have high balances on credit cards?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.  My score through EQ is 606!  TU and EX are both over 700 (even though they are FAKO's).

I thought once something was actually removed from your credit report that your score changed instantly??

I have nothing else reporting bad.  My credit card usage is 35%.

Aren't liens less than two years old very damaging on a credit report?
Message 4 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

inpacers wrote:
Thanks for the replies.  My score through EQ is 606!  TU and EX are both over 700 (even though they are FAKO's).

I thought once something was actually removed from your credit report that your score changed instantly??

I have nothing else reporting bad.  My credit card usage is 35%.

Aren't liens less than two years old very damaging on a credit report?

Once there is a change, yes the score changes. Any serious derog does most of it's damage in the first two years. Do you carry balances on all of your CCs? Is any one them over 80% util? 

- Clearly this judgment is hurting you
- so is your CC util of 35%
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have 2 cc's with a balance.  One is at 45% util and the other is at 20%.

The only thing that I can think of is that I just recently consolidated my student loans.  I guess that would show as a new installment loan but the 5 previous loans would now be showing PIF, which I would think would help with the new account for scoring purposes.

Also, this happened a month prior to the removal of the state liens.  I just find it odd that I didn't get any points for 2 liens that were less than two years old. 
Message 6 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

inpacers wrote:
I only have 2 cc's with a balance.  One is at 45% util and the other is at 20%.

The only thing that I can think of is that I just recently consolidated my student loans.  I guess that would show as a new installment loan but the 5 previous loans would now be showing PIF, which I would think would help with the new account for scoring purposes.

Also, this happened a month prior to the removal of the state liens.  I just find it odd that I didn't get any points for 2 liens that were less than two years old. 

I'm a bit stumped here! Your EQ score is 606 and you currently have a judgment that is 3 years old and moderate CC usage. Something is wrong here! Are you sure there is nothing else on your report? I would think your score would be at least 650 or higher.

Re-aging your file can drop your scores. The loss in points will depend on how much your average-age of accounts shortens. I doubt that this is the big culprit though.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand either.  Unless the $24,000 (new) student loan consolidation dropped my score significantly and I don't know because I hadn't checked my score for at least a year prior to now.

Also, my aging is now 5 years and 10 months.  It used to be over 6 years.  So, the new loan definitely impacted my aging.

Do you think it will go back up in 2 months maybe?  I cannot figure out EQ.  I understand that the other scores are FAKO's but at least they went up a lot when the liens came off.

Thanks for all your help!
Message 8 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

inpacers wrote:
I don't understand either.  Unless the $24,000 (new) student loan consolidation dropped my score significantly and I don't know because I hadn't checked my score for at least a year prior to now.

Also, my aging is now 5 years and 10 months.  It used to be over 6 years.  So, the new loan definitely impacted my aging.

Do you think it will go back up in 2 months maybe?  I cannot figure out EQ.  I understand that the other scores are FAKO's but at least they went up a lot when the liens came off.

Thanks for all your help!

The new SL and the re-aging of your file did not tank your scores. Did you pull your EQ FICO from this web site or EQ's site? They are suppose to be the same score, but there have been occasions when they differed. 
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the 3-in-1 monitoring from EQ as well as SW.  That is where I pulled my score from.  I have never used MyFico - just the forums.

Do you think my score will go up much in 2 months when I hit the 6 year mark again?  Also, the new student loan is showing 100% of balance owed with no payments yet. I opened this in March.  How long does the payment history on a new installment (or credit line for that matter) take before it starts reflecting positively on your CR?  12 months?

Thanks!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.