New Visitor
tpmcCalifornia

Strategy in paying off credit

Question regarding how to pay down credit cards.
I'm building a house and the builder ran out of money.
Because it is a construction loan, there is significant $$ in equity but I cannot tap into it until the project is completed with an occupancy permit in hand.
I have been paying him out of pocket to get the project finished.
As such, I charged many credit cards up to the 90% - 95% level.
My score dropped from 755 down to 675 = 80 points in 6 months due to this activity over time.
I now have some cash and want to pay the cards down. Should I pay off a select few, or pay them all down to a lower loan to available credit ratio?   (Ex.  In lieu of 90% of available credit, down to 70%).  Further, what are the trigger points? I know if you are below 50% of LTV, it is a score adjuster at the 49% mark. What are the other trigger points? 79% or 69%?  Hoping this makes sense and would greatly appreciate any input.
pennypine

Re: Strategy in paying off credit

90% 72% 50% 34% 25% 9%
Bad ----------> Good

Rough estimates!
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

tpmcCalifornia wrote:
Question regarding how to pay down credit cards.
I'm building a house and the builder ran out of money.
Because it is a construction loan, there is significant $$ in equity but I cannot tap into it until the project is completed with an occupancy permit in hand.
I have been paying him out of pocket to get the project finished.
As such, I charged many credit cards up to the 90% - 95% level.
My score dropped from 755 down to 675 = 80 points in 6 months due to this activity over time.
I now have some cash and want to pay the cards down. Should I pay off a select few, or pay them all down to a lower loan to available credit ratio? (Ex. In lieu of 90% of available credit, down to 70%). Further, what are the trigger points? I know if you are below 50% of LTV, it is a score adjuster at the 49% mark. What are the other trigger points? 79% or 69%? Hoping this makes sense and would greatly appreciate any input.

Put in all into an Excel worksheet and create a plan.

Paying highest APR= save $

The break points in UTL are at 50% 30% and less than 10%
Remember that Fico takes both total UTL and Individual UTL into the score.
Contributor
m_jonis

IF you believe the FICO score simulator, your score will actually rise about 20-30 points MORE if you pay them down slowly over the course of 6 months, vs. paying them down all at once. At least that's what it does for me (when I run the score simulator, put in what happens if I pay X of my revolving debt. vs what happens if I pay X amount/month for X months.)
Finally made it to 813
Moderator Emeritus
fused

m_jonis wrote:
IF you believe the FICO score simulator, your score will actually rise about 20-30 points MORE if you pay them down slowly over the course of 6 months, vs. paying them down all at once. At least that's what it does for me (when I run the score simulator, put in what happens if I pay X of my revolving debt. vs what happens if I pay X amount/month for X months.)

The score simulator is highly inaccurate. It's far better to pay down the balances quickly.
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

Super Contributor
MidnightVoice

The reason the score simulator "prefers" paying over 6 months is that it also adds in 6 months ageing and assumes perfect payment during this tim,e.

Paying off at once and waiting 6 months will be better  :smileyhappy:
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Moderator Emeritus
fused

MidnightVoice wrote:
The reason the score simulator "prefers" paying over 6 months is that it also adds in 6 months ageing and assumes perfect payment during this tim,e.

Paying off at once and waiting 6 months will be better  :smileyhappy:

Agreed!
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}