Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan question

My husband took out $40k in student loans in the early 90s. He paid for a couple years and the loan was transferred. Over the past ten years the loan has been serviced by five different lenders.

He lost his job and was having trouble making payments so he asked for a deferral. Before it was granted he had two months of late payments. I just ran his reports and that one $40k student loan is showing negative marks from all five vendors. Is there anything that can be done about this?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not if it's accurate. Student loans must report (a requir...

Not if it's accurate. Student loans must report (a requirement of the higher education act).

If you're going through troubling financial times, it's always good to note that student loans can be deferred by enrolling at least half-time in a community college (and there are community colleges that have sufficient online courses that there's no logistics challenges to enrollment).
Message 2 of 9
JMD

Student Loan rehabilitation

Defaulted student loans can be rehabilitated.  If you make 12 monthly payments on time, the loan is sold to another lender and the default is taken off your credit report.  If you google "student loan rehabilitation" you can get the information you need.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan rehabilitation restated

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan question

Student loans are the biggest waste ever
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jack_Sparrow wrote:
Student loans are the biggest waste ever

How do you figger that?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never mind the troll.  There's obviously no financial savvy behind that comment.  Even people who don't need student loans can benefit greatly from them.  This was especially true when rates were incredibly low (mine are being paid back at 3.1%, so believe me I'm in no hurry).  Especially in a credit forum, that makes no sense.  Just think about it:  it's one of the best ways for young people to establish credit as well.
Message 7 of 9
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

It also seems one of the easiest ways for young people to screw up thier credit if they are not careful  Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No argument there, but anyone who isn't careful will have all kinds of opportunties to screw it up.  Smiley Happy  Credit opportunities are far more widely available now than they were when I graduated about 10 years ago.

But think about the benefits, simply from a credit standpoint.  Acceptance is essentially guaranteed by law, and having a term of potentially 10+ years is great for average age of accounts.  If the young person has any difficulty, deferments and the like are available to give the borrower a chance to catch up without taking a credit rating hit.  And that's just for starters.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.