Established Member
jones2929

Student Loans?

I am desparate to get to a 700 so that I can refinance my home.  In the last few months, my score has gone up by 30 points or so by strategically paying down certain debts.  I'm at 696 right now.  I have outstanding student loans of about $1,600.  If I paid them off, would that improve the score by a few points?  Or does it make more sense to pay down more of one of my credit cards?  Thanks in advance!

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Student Loans?

Installment utilization is a tiny part of FICO scoring, unlike CC and revolving util. If you are still carrying balances on CCs, I'd consider paying that. Outside of FICO scoring, DTI should also be a consideration if that were ever an issue with the lender.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+