Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans

How long does it the the credit agencies to update reporting when student loan providers send in updated information?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans

Two to six business days, assuming the updated info was sent electronically.  In some cases it takes longer.  The 2-6 figure applies to any account as far as I have seen -- whether the account is a student loan or a credit card or a mortgage or whatever.

Message 2 of 12
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Two to six business days, assuming the updated info was sent electronically.  In some cases it takes longer.  The 2-6 figure applies to any account as far as I have seen -- whether the account is a student loan or a credit card or a mortgage or whatever.

Agreed - it generally depends on the servicer. My credit cards update within 2 business days, but my student loans took about a week.   When my student loan was with Navient, my CR was updated on the 8th of each month (the day after my monthly payment due date) with the loan balance on the last day of the preceding month (go figure). 

I refinanced my student loan with a private bank, and they still haven't updated my credit report - so we'll see how long that takes (The loan was originated on 3/17.) 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder why it would take a CRA longer to put an updated record into its database if it were a student loan than if it were a credit card.  It's quite possible that it does... just seems odd that it should.  Once the update has been transmitted by the creditor, it would seem that it would tend to take a CRA the same time no matter what type of account we are talking about.  But there's likely some reason I am missing.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My student loan provider sent out updated reporting on the 30th of April and there has yet to be any updated reporting on my credit report. I consolidated my student loans and I'm wondering if this is going to drop my credit score. I called all 3 agencies and they have all stated that have not received any updated reporting. They told me to open a dispute. However, I don't want to do this because I'm in the process of buying a house. I don't want the underwriter to question the dispute.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My student loan provider sent out updated reporting on the 30th of April and there has yet to be any updated reporting on my credit report. I consolidated my student loans and I'm wondering if this is going to drop my credit score. I called all 3 agencies and they have all stated that have not received any updated reporting. They told me to open a dispute. However, I don't want to do this because I'm in the process of buying a house. I don't want the underwriter to question the dispute.

Where are you in the house buying process?  Are you just starting to look around at possible properties?  (Might not actually close on a place for another four months?)  Or is your lender in the final few weeks of official underwriting for a specific property?

It's not strange for an account to take 6, 7, or even 8 business days to appear inside the CRA database.  That's that many days after the update was transmitted.  It's Friday now.  Only four business days have fully elapsed since it was submitted by the SL provider.

It's also important to note that this is not just an update of balances, but closing old accounts and a new account appearing for the first time, which might take a bit longer.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm actually doing the inspection tomorrow.I should be closing on May 31st.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah.  Well, yeah, accounts closing and a new one appearing and your installment utilization changing -- this could all affect your credit score.  If the underwriters were planning to pull your scores again (quite possible) they might have done that this week, before everything changes.  You can hope for that perhaps.  Is there a particular reason you are trying to get all these changes registered ASAP?  Unless I missing something, you should be hoping that they go with your reports prior to you making these destabilizing changes.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mortgage company who is also the lender needed me to consolidate them so that mythly payment would be cheaper. The loans will report paid in full via consolidation. I'm not sure if this would make a difference. Why would my score drop?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.