cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subprime auto loan to raise credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Subprime auto loan to raise credit score?

I discharged my Chapter 7 bankruptcy in June of 2015.  My current score is 587 (it was 498ish pre bankruptcy).  I recently applied and received a Cap One secured credit card, only had it for one month.  Plan on charging about $30 per month on my $200 credit limit and pay it off in full every month.

So I applied for a new apartment lease this week and I was denied b/c of my credit.  Will getting a subprime auto loan thru someone like DriveTime, or Santander increase my credit score enough for me to successfully apply for another apartment in the next 6 months?  And how much of an increase should I expect?  Or will the hard pulls of the apartment and car loan applications decrease my score in the next 6 months?

Will just sticking with using and paying off my secured credit card raise my score to at least 650?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Subprime auto loan to raise credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:

I discharged my Chapter 7 bankruptcy in June of 2015.  My current score is 587 (it was 498ish pre bankruptcy).  I recently applied and received a Cap One secured credit card, only had it for one month.  Plan on charging about $30 per month on my $200 credit limit and pay it off in full every month.

So I applied for a new apartment lease this week and I was denied b/c of my credit.  Will getting a subprime auto loan thru someone like DriveTime, or Santander increase my credit score enough for me to successfully apply for another apartment in the next 6 months?  And how much of an increase should I expect?  Or will the hard pulls of the apartment and car loan applications decrease my score in the next 6 months?

Will just sticking with using and paying off my secured credit card raise my score to at least 650?

1. Getting an installment loan and paying it down to 9% would help your score; any other new installment loan activity would hurt, rather than help, your score.

2. Yes taking care of the card you have + the passage time will help your score.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

You can solve the score portion with an installment loan but you can do it at a fraction of the cost of a subprime auto loan.

Sure if you need a car and you need financing (like I did when I started here) then you go take the 20% APR loan (19.35% in my case) or similar; however, if you just need an installment line go solve it with a share secured loan and pay even less than a yuppie food stamp if you wish and keeping it for the full term, instead of getting a high interest expensive loan that you absolutely want to pay off as quickly as possible.

Method:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

Gory Theory:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/...

        
Message 3 of 6
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Getting an installment loan and paying it down to 9% would help your score; any other new installment loan activity would hurt, rather than help, your score.

2. Yes taking care of the card you have + the passage time will help your score.

Agreed.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 4 of 6
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

You can solve the score portion with an installment loan but you can do it at a fraction of the cost of a subprime auto loan.

Sure if you need a car and you need financing (like I did when I started here) then you go take the 20% APR loan (19.35% in my case) or similar; however, if you just need an installment line go solve it with a share secured loan and pay even less than a yuppie food stamp if you wish and keeping it for the full term, instead of getting a high interest expensive loan that you absolutely want to pay off as quickly as possible.

Method:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

Gory Theory:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/...

Good advice.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 5 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Welcome OP. Very good suggestions by Rev & SouthJ. I'd consider those options. I wanted to add that if for some reason you decide to take on a subprime car loan, I'd first look deeply into the lender before pulling the trigger. It's already enough it will be a high rate, but you also want someone with good reviews.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.