cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIME: Understanding its relevance to FICO scoring.

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: TIME: Understanding its relevance to FICO scoring.

@Anonymous wrote:

There is something that is lost here...

Human brains can compute data not only faster than a computer can, but more efficiently. When you have a team of data scientists and software engineers together... well, that's much more computational power than you can imagine.

When we write software, it is imperfect. There are things we can do really well now, even with algorithms, but still not as well as the brain. Information in a computer currently only exists in bytes, in which that byte can be one of two values - 1 or 0. The more substantial the data, the greater quantity of 1's and 0's there are to process. With increased complexity comes increased time, and believe it or not, there are some processes that require such a substantial amount of data churning that it can exceed what our computers are even capable of processing. 

We know that newer algorithms will be even more robust than what we've got now, but they still won't be perfect. 

A set of numbers that are relatively similar, versus a complex web of data points  and structures... it's just an entirely different ballgame. 

Your general starting point is correct. The issue with the computers is, a programmer has to set up the inputs that the algorithm will consider, and to develop the program which is going to make some sort of calculation from those inputs. The more inputs that are available, and the more nuances that the programmer tries to include, then the more likely the output is unpredictable.

Humans only seem to calculate faster. What humans are actually doing is pulling in other factors, other assumptions, other biases into their "decision process". Humans are able to read a credit application, but also to look at the person across the desk, and include that bias into their decision. A computer can only deal with the data fields that are available to it.

Managers at my work are constantly frustrated because they have a business process idea that they would like the computers to handle. Humans can pick those up and adapt because they can think around the roadblocks, the issues, the communication blocks. Humans, however, cannot handle the volume of data that many of these processes generate. However, until you can absolutely nail down every possible variation you want to deal with, and tell the computer exactly what to do in every variation of the situation [and this means you MUST limit the variability of input and MUST limit the expected capabilities] the computer will stop dead and not know what to do.

This is relevant to the thread, because OP is bringing in judgemental explanations of particular situations. But the computer does not have access to those judgements that are being used to explain the differences. A pattern of "quick lates" could be just the start of "years of lates". Who knows how to separate the two until years have passed? And by that time, either there have been no additional lates, or there are "surprise" lates that in hindsight were indicated by the early bad patch.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

That 7 year horizon that we have in the federal credit information laws is there for a reason. It is because we, as a society, have decided that people deserve a chance to show they have changed, that they can get their lives together. If 7 years of good payment history is not enough, if they have a perpetual "youth issue" following them when they have fully "adulted" then that is not fair to the individual.

If someone is periodically being late, and they continue to be late now and then, their score is reflective of that. If they stop being late for 7 years, then in my book, they are no longer late. Full stop.

If they were late during a time when they were applying for the 30 year mortgage, then their interest rate would be elevated for as long as they had that mortgage. If they showed good payment history going in to that mortgage, they got the benefit of a slightly lower mortgage rate. The FICO score models by themselves mean nothing until someone applies for a loan, and then at that time, combined with a manual review for the more significant, meaningful loans, it matters as to what sort of terms they will get for that credit.

If we were talking a significant amount of points here, I'd agree with you that it wouldn't be "fair" to have their past haunt them forever.  What I suggested above was something like 10-15 points which really isn't significant if a person has really cleaned up their act.  It would be a 805 score instead of 820.  Neither score is really "better" than the other as both individuals would be able to obtain the best possible interest rates on any loans.  Now if their score was only 670, maybe those 10-15 points would make a difference.  But if their score is only 670, have they really learned from their past?  Such a score suggests a profile far from perfect.  All this can be debated endlessly of course, which is one of the reasons I think this forum is spectacular.  I enjoy all these different perspectives and angles that I wouldn't have considered myself.  Again, I suppose it comes down to me disagreeing with the 7 year time period.  I'd rather see a significantly longer time period, just with greater diminishing returns as the data extends down the left side of the time line so the point where the really old stuff is only a very minor impact compared to the most recent data.

Message 22 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
A pattern of "quick lates" could be just the start of "years of lates". Who knows how to separate the two until years have passed? And by that time, either there have been no additional lates, or there are "surprise" lates that in hindsight were indicated by the early bad patch.

My illustration suggested looking at this data after years have passed, so there is nothing judgemental about it.  It would simply be looking at data, just over a longer period of time than is currently the case.  I can understand the viewpoint of those that think going back longer than 7 years isn't "fair" or relevant... I just happen to disagree with it.

Message 23 of 45
sarge12
Senior Contributor

The idea of forgiveness of bad debt in 7 years actually stretches back over 2000 years, and rules do not allow me to discuss the orogin of the 7 year practice.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 24 of 45
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

My thinking...if what you mention is a 10-15 point spread and both parties (perfect and spotty) will eventually have access to the same benefits of great credit such as better interest rates and better trade lines, what does it really matter?  What benefit does the perfect person gain by suppressing the spotty person who drastically changed their behavior?  Bragging rights of a slightly better score?  

I understand there are inequities in the scoring system, but in the end what is really gained if both parties have access to the same benefits?  Also, what is lost to the better profile by allowing another to achieve a better score for themselves?  Seems punitive to me.

Am I missing a something?

Message 25 of 45
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Gidgetmom wrote:

My thinking...if what you mention is a 10-15 point spread and both parties (perfect and spotty) will eventually have access to the same benefits of great credit such as better interest rates and better trade lines, what does it really matter?  What benefit does the perfect person gain by suppressing the spotty person who drastically changed their behavior?  Bragging rights of a slightly better score?  

I understand there are inequities in the scoring system, but in the end what is really gained if both parties have access to the same benefits?  Also, what is lost to the better profile by allowing another to achieve a better score for themselves?  Seems punitive to me.

FICO scores are intended to be a single number ( within each FICO version since the criteria are different ) which is intended to simplify the bell curve measurement of risk of borrowers. So I don't think you are missing anything. These scoring models have to somehow make sense of millions of combinations of personal credit history data, but at the end of the day, each set of data in a credit file is only as good as the human being, the borrower, who generated those credit events. FICO is most directly useful in creating new credit card accounts, because the automation simply has to be efficient. For larger loans, it is only one step of many as the lender wants to better understand the person they are lending to. The refinements of 10-15 points would get washed out, in mortgage and auto loans, by the larger credit history that is directly reviewed by an underwriter.

So while the idea of borrower intent and long history of patterns is an interesting idea to try to include in a FICO model, that actually gets taken into consideration with manual underwriting, where the lender really cares about the amounts being lent out.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 26 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There is something that is lost here...

Human brains can compute data not only faster than a computer can, but more efficiently. When you have a team of data scientists and software engineers together... well, that's much more computational power than you can imagine.

When we write software, it is imperfect. There are things we can do really well now, even with algorithms, but still not as well as the brain. Information in a computer currently only exists in bytes, in which that byte can be one of two values - 1 or 0. The more substantial the data, the greater quantity of 1's and 0's there are to process. With increased complexity comes increased time, and believe it or not, there are some processes that require such a substantial amount of data churning that it can exceed what our computers are even capable of processing. 

We know that newer algorithms will be even more robust than what we've got now, but they still won't be perfect. 

A set of numbers that are relatively similar, versus a complex web of data points  and structures... it's just an entirely different ballgame. 

Your general starting point is correct. The issue with the computers is, a programmer has to set up the inputs that the algorithm will consider, and to develop the program which is going to make some sort of calculation from those inputs. The more inputs that are available, and the more nuances that the programmer tries to include, then the more likely the output is unpredictable.

Humans only seem to calculate faster. What humans are actually doing is pulling in other factors, other assumptions, other biases into their "decision process". Humans are able to read a credit application, but also to look at the person across the desk, and include that bias into their decision. A computer can only deal with the data fields that are available to it.

Managers at my work are constantly frustrated because they have a business process idea that they would like the computers to handle. Humans can pick those up and adapt because they can think around the roadblocks, the issues, the communication blocks. Humans, however, cannot handle the volume of data that many of these processes generate. However, until you can absolutely nail down every possible variation you want to deal with, and tell the computer exactly what to do in every variation of the situation [and this means you MUST limit the variability of input and MUST limit the expected capabilities] the computer will stop dead and not know what to do.

This is relevant to the thread, because OP is bringing in judgemental explanations of particular situations. But the computer does not have access to those judgements that are being used to explain the differences. A pattern of "quick lates" could be just the start of "years of lates". Who knows how to separate the two until years have passed? And by that time, either there have been no additional lates, or there are "surprise" lates that in hindsight were indicated by the early bad patch.

I never said anything about 'calculating data' faster.  What I said is accurate. Computers do not currently have the processing speeds and computing power that one human brain does, let alone a room full of brilliant ones.

Computers are better at calculating, like you've said, because computers are better at executing transactional instructions. This is why I said that inputting in a set of numbers is what we currently do, and while it's imperfect, it's what we can do well right now. Data scientists need more than 80,000 processors of the fastest, most powerful processors to mimic just ONE SECOND of an average human brain's activity. The human brain has literally hundreds of trillions of pathways for any single brain signal to travel through thanks to more than 90 BILLION nerve cells and their trillions of synapses.

Take facial recognition for example. A computer is very good at this. But technically, so is a human brain. What the computer can do better, is sift through copious amounts of inputs to find a match. What the human brain can do better is recognizing a singular input against a vast number of memories against a vast number of contexts, such as age, sunglasses, or other obsurities. While we are used to facebook's instant facial recognition, most 'common' applications of facial recognition require time to execute and process, while in most case, a human brain can instantly recognize someone that they haven't spoken to in years, despite aging and changes in appearance.

I just wanted to express that while there is a complex web of data we have to explore, over many, many years for some (even without private biases you describe), we currently do not have computers that can truly handle that web of data in a meaningful way, let alone exponentially inceasing its complexity over someone's lifetime. And on top of that, that data takes up space. The capacity of the human brain is at least petabyte (estimated) - a million gigabytes. It is difficult for a person not in the field to understand the limitations on the physical space data can take up. The data software the CRAs currently utilize have trouble when there are hundreds of soft pull inquiries. Imagine trying to feed it (and house) all of the credit histories of every type of person, and first analyzing all of that complex data into risk patterns, and then applying that information to try and spit out a grade. 

Once we can utilize quantum spins and a byte can represent a 1 or a 0, and learn to efficiently instruct oligonucleotides to clone themselves prior to degredation, we'll be getting a lot closer to the power of a human brain... possibily even exceed it, because of the transactional superiority of our machines.

This was a digression, but the point remains the same. FICO is truly limited by input and current data processing capabilities.

Message 27 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gidgetmom wrote:

Yes, what you're missing is that you have two different bodies of work with the same exact scores which is the overall point that I'm disagreeing with when considering the current FICO scoring system and the 7 year constraint to scoring.  Your key word is "eventually."  Yes, eventually they will have access to the same benefits of a great score, but it would take a little longer for the person with the spotty past if what I'm suggesting and a 10-15 point difference was present.  "Eventually" is not what matters, it's the present and/or the leading up to "eventually."  My score may be 750 today and your score may be 650, but you don't say "that's alright because eventually I'll be at 750 too" because we're living in this moment and if we were both to apply for mortgages today the current numbers are what matter.  And, the "perfect" person as you stated above is not "supressing" the spotty person.  No two individuals have any impact on each other at all with FICO scoring so I'm not sure the correlation you're trying to draw there. 

If you feel two otherwise identical profiles, one with a spotty past and one with a clean past are representative of the same exact score today, that's fine.  The most important thing agrees with you:  FICO.  I just happen to disagree with it and certainly am aware that my opinion relative to the FICO algorithm doesn't matter at all.

Message 28 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

The idea of forgiveness of bad debt in 7 years actually stretches back over 2000 years, and rules do not allow me to discuss the orogin of the 7 year practice.

That's fine.  Rather than complete forgiveness, I think that majority forgiveness would be more representative of future risk assessment.  Just my opinion.

Message 29 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

So while the idea of borrower intent and long history of patterns is an interesting idea to try to include in a FICO model, that actually gets taken into consideration with manual underwriting, where the lender really cares about the amounts being lent out.

And that comes back to one of my original points... that a credit score (risk factor) IMO should more closely match what is perceived with manual underwriting.  There are 2 different arguments here.  One is that it should or shouldn't, period.  The other is that while it could be meaningful, the algorithm isn't capable of what the human brain is.

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.