cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU Utilization Factors in Balance from Installment Loan Collection?

tag
TenaciousRebuilder
New Contributor

TU Utilization Factors in Balance from Installment Loan Collection?

My EX & EQ scores have finally crept up to 650 (from sub 500 territory) and I have a few realy ugly items scheduled to drop off in the next year as well. One of them is a collection on a $10k installment loan.

The collection and it's $10k balance are on all 3 reports in the open account section rather than the collections section - presumably because they purchased the debt from the OC.

My problem is that TU is factoring in this installment loan collection with my revolving utilization so while my EX & EQ scores are around 650 with <10% revolving utilization, my TU score is about 550 with 115% utilization.

Given that this is a collection on an installment loan, should the balance factor into my utilization calculation? FYI, the account's description does indicate that it is a colletction.

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: TU Utilization Factors in Balance from Installment Loan Collection?

A collection account nor an installment loan should factor into your revolving utilization.

Even if it was purchased it is still a collection and should be in the collection section.  How they end up in the accounts I am not sure but believe it has to do with the CRAs.

But yes, I have seen those collection in the accounts factor in and they should not.  Especially an installment.

Message 2 of 13
TenaciousRebuilder
New Contributor

Thanks for your response guiness56. I looked through the TU online dispute site and there don't appear to be any appropriate dispute categories. Is my best option to dispute to TU in writing (w/ CMRRR)?

Message 3 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

What kind of loan was it?

Message 4 of 13
TenaciousRebuilder
New Contributor

Home improvement loan
Message 5 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I ask because some lenders will take a home improvement loan or a 2nd mortgage and morph it into a HELOC. Depending on the limit (YMMV on FICO version...usually $40k+) they are treated as a revolving account. Who is reporting it? The OC?

Message 6 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@llecs wrote:

I ask because some lenders will take a home improvement loan or a 2nd mortgage and morph it into a HELOC. Depending on the limit (YMMV on FICO version...usually $40k+) they are treated as a revolving account. Who is reporting it? The OC?

It is a CA who purchased the debt from the OC. 

Message 7 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

For that matter, a CA cannot report it as an installment in the first place.  It is a collection account.

Who is the CA?

Message 8 of 13
TenaciousRebuilder
New Contributor

LVNV Funding

Message 9 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

They must be reporting as a "factoring company" and somehow in the OC revolving category.  Where did you get the report from?  Sometimes 3rd party reports aren't 100% reliable.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.