Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU and EQ Score Difference

tag
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Re: TU and EQ Score Difference

My thinking may be completely off here. I thought FICO did the scoring not the individual CRAs. TU and EQ are simply data compilers?
Message 11 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Each of the CRAs use a different FICO formula when the score is generated. I guess this is because each CRA commissioned FICO to generate that for them. So, each FICO tends to weigh each item a tad differently. IME, EQ weighed util much more. Baddies stung more on EX and TU. If everything is EXACTLY the same the score variance between all 3 CRAs is approx. 10 points on the high side. But anything can throw the scores off like different dates, util calcs (TU does it a bit differently onm TU98), balances, lates, number of accounts, etc. Any of these can trow your scores off by a lot.

Message 12 of 14
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

So FICO develops more than one scoring formula and the CRAs choose which formula they want to use to analyze the consumer data they've compiled? So I wonder then, how independent and objective is Fair Isaac when it is catering it's product to their customers', that is the CRAs', demands.

I naively assumed when a consumer purchases his FICO score, the process went like this: the CRA makes your report available to Fair Isaac' computers and the score is computed objectively with no influence from the CRA. WHen in fact the very formula being used has been crafted based on the CRAs specifications?
Message 13 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Sorta...I think the differences are due to licensing agreements with the CRAs. The development of the score is based on lender input though, as opposed to the CRAs. Remember, the FICO wasn't available to any consumer for years, but pressure opened up the score for consumer access, viewing, and even purchase. It was the lender that was the end-user. However...IMO, FICO is shooting themselves in the foot by not opening the score up even more. If myFICO.com offered all of the other FICO versions out there (e.g. auto-enhanced, CC-enhanced, TU04, TU08, Beacon 9.0, and any EX flavor), I'd be first in line to buy them. FICO is not being very consumer-friendly, IMO. Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.