Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU dispute tanked my EQ score???

tag
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

TU dispute tanked my EQ score???

I filed a dispute with TU over 2 closed cc accounts that were reporting incorrectly (but only incorrect on TU) & this morning I got a score alert from myFICO (EQ) telling me that my score went from 746 to 720. The reason given was that the status on these 2 cc changed & that (now) I don't have a long established revolving history. Are you kidding me?? And to make it more confusing, the only thing that's reporting differently after my dispute was the statement ' Customer disputes this information' changed to ' customer disputes after resolution'. First of all, I had no idea that a dispute with TU's reporting would spill over into EQ (who was reporting correctly), and secondly why would my score drop 26 points over the statement 'customer disputes' vs 'customer disputes after resolution' ?? UGH. I get so tired of this credit game. It's tough to play a game in which the rules are the best kept secret.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: TU dispute tanked my EQ score???

Have you pulled your EQ report from somewhere to look for changes? Usually a dispute on one CRA will spill over into all 3. You should see that on EX too. I would look at EQ. I don't know what was wrong with that TL, but sometimes the creditor will add items to the TL or change the reporting in a way to make it look worse than before and that can cause the score drop. What was wrong with TU's reporting?

Message 2 of 5
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Have you pulled your EQ report from somewhere to look for changes? Usually a dispute on one CRA will spill over into all 3. You should see that on EX too. I would look at EQ. I don't know what was wrong with that TL, but sometimes the creditor will add items to the TL or change the reporting in a way to make it look worse than before and that can cause the score drop. What was wrong with TU's reporting?

The way TU was reporting showed balances long after the account had been paid & closed & it actually showed a 30 day late payment in April of 2010, when the account had been paid & closed in January of 2010. EX & EQ had it right. Ok. I guess I'll buy another EQ report & see what it says. Thank You!

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't have to be through here; try annualcreditreport if you haven't used it in the past year. Anyway, it isn't uncommon for baddies/stati to be carried over to the other two CRAs after a dispute. Definitely look out for that. You also mentioned they updated. To be safe, I would make sure they are still reporting just in case they deleted.

Message 4 of 5
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

@llecs wrote:

It doesn't have to be through here; try annualcreditreport if you haven't used it in the past year. Anyway, it isn't uncommon for baddies/stati to be carried over to the other two CRAs after a dispute. Definitely look out for that. You also mentioned they updated. To be safe, I would make sure they are still reporting just in case they deleted.

I just got off the phone with the cc company. She said she could file to get these 2 cc accounts removed from my files completely & I told her to go ahead. These were 2 accounts that did show a couple 30 day lates (albeit old) but I'm so frustrated now that I figure I'd rather just get them deleted than to keep fighting this battle. I don't have a problem being held responsible for my lates as long as they were reported accurately, but TU was having problems with the 'accurately' part. My AAOA is going to take a hit. In this particular situation, 'better late than never' has been replaced with 'better never than late'. Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.