Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU "Account Closed by Consumer"

tag
Karunch
Contributor

TU "Account Closed by Consumer"

Hopefully this is the right section of the forums to post this question. 

I have a Merrick Bank/Hooters MasterCard that shows with a remark of "Account Closed By Consumer" on my TU CR.  I called Merrick Bank and they tell me that my account still shows open in their system, and that I had to dispute the information with TransUnion.  I filed a dispute with TU, and they came back stating that they verified the information on my report.  However under Remarks it still is showing "Account Closed By Consumer". 

The TL is properly showing my balance of $0, and it shows that my CL is $1,800.  Since my Credit Limit is still listed on the TL, does that mean that it is still showing as being open?  And if the account is still showing as open for scoring purposes, should I just let things be and not try to redispute the "Account Closed By Consumer" remark? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: TU "Account Closed by Consumer"

Can you use the card? If so, use it and let a small balance report to see if the listing changes any.

"Account Closed by Consumer" isn't a negative remark and lenders are indifferent to it.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, the OC gave you bad advice, probably just to get you off the phone.

What is in your CR is not determined by the CRA, it is determined by what is reported to them.  If the creditor reported information,  such as closure of an account, and by whom, the CRA just records that.  They dont evaluate it.  If you dispute its accuracy through the CRA, they will just ask the reporting party to confirm its accuracy, and they will use a sanitized e-Oscar process to do that, not forwarding all your supporting documentation to the OC.  You dont need a CRA to be the middle-man in that process.

I would file a direct dispute with OC under FCRA 623(a)(8), and thus avoid the CRA altogether.  Submit your statement of inaccuracy directly to them, along with your supporting documentation, part of which would include representations made to you, and make them respond directly to you.  Get the CRA out of the process.

Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@llecs wrote:

Can you use the card? If so, use it and let a small balance report to see if the listing changes any.

"Account Closed by Consumer" isn't a negative remark and lenders are indifferent to it.

+1

Use it, let a balance report (and then pay it off), and see what happens.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
Karunch
Contributor

Actually last week I had pulled my EQ & EX CR's, and both of them are showing as "Account Closed by Consumer" as well.  I didn't realize that at first.  I'm going to have to call Merrick Bank up and try to get someone on the phone that can help me.

I pulled a new TU today, and it's still showing that the account is closed.  But they've updated my balance to $0 (just paid it off), and they are showing my new CL (they just gave me an auto CLI this month). 

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Seriously, I would use the card before I called anyone. Try ordering something online, using the CC number. You'll find out soon enough whether it's open or not.

Never call CS and give them the opportunity to tell you what you don't want to hear!  Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.