Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU won't even open the door an INCH!

tag
nma851
Regular Contributor

TU won't even open the door an INCH!

Yeah it's a rant.  Only way to feel better right?

Just as the subject says, I am convinced TU has capped my score LOLOL.  I cannot, for the life of me, get to 800.  I get to 799 - as I have AGAIN - but to hit 800 or exceed it, that is unheard of.  EFX & EXP both are beyond.  Yes, I 100% know from the fine FICO folks here that each CRA has their own motives to madness; however, this "madness" is just that!!!

Last 6 months - EFX/EXP teeter in the low 800's while TU goes down a few & then up a few - NEVER exceeding that 799. 

Granted, this is Discover's TU FICO, but it's still a FICO not a FAKO, even did a refresh on here before posting this.  I'm 799 with TU.  

They also always cite high installment balances which I agree with given the balance on the auto loan (around 70% remaining - just got it in October).  

Really - just open that dang door an INCH for me already!!!  Trust me - EXP and EFX did and they're not regretting it LOLOLOL! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

Anyway my FICO Friends, given there are NO inaccuaracies and this "capping" is just that, am I just nuts (go ahead and say it - I don't mind) that 799 is where I stop or should I be doing some MAJOR digging into the CR file?  Most appreciated in advance everyone.  Hope you have a good start to your Sunday!!!

bbbbbbbb, your FICO® Credit Score is 799
FICO® SCORE799

As of 06/07/2015

Your FICO® Credit Score is affected by the Key Factor(s) below:
  1. 1.PROPORTION OF LOAN BALANCES TO LOAN AMOUNTS IS TOO HIGH:
    The balances of your non-mortgage installment loans (such as auto or student loans) are high compared to your original loan amounts. As you pay down your loan your balance decreases, which reduces the proportion.
BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: TU won't even open the door an INCH!

TransUnion may have something in their file that is affecting your score (such as a hard inquiry they received that the other CRAs did not).

Nonetheless,  as with EQ and EX, an 850 Fico 8 score is possible based on TU data.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 2 of 9
nma851
Regular Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

TransUnion may have something in their file that is affecting your score (such as a hard inquiry they received that the other CRAs did not).

Nonetheless,  as with EQ and EX, an 850 Fico 8 score is possible based on TU data.

I figured as much and I've fine-tooth-combed the thing and even had my spouse and 2 neighbors (one is in commercial lending - better than nothing!!!), only to have them all just as perplexed as the next.  

Looking at other posts and threads, I'm far from the only one trying to find a needle in a haystack; just in my case, it is why 1 point cannot be attained under the circumstances.

Here's all the stats just in case it *may* shed more light than speculating about being one point shy of 800 with just one CRA:

OVERALL UT: 4%
HIGHEST UT INDIVIDUAL: 9% (Lowes, $900 Balance on a 10K CL);
LOWEST UT INDIVIDUAL: 2% (BC Rewards, $214 on an 11K CL);
# OF ACCOUNTS W/BAL: 3/14;
AAoA: 11;
OLDEST: 19.8 Years (just to give exact age);

YOUNGEST: 3 Months

As for that inquiry possibility, none are less than a year anymore but the count is at 4, 3 of which *should* count as 1 (auto) - but again is beyond the 12 months FICO affecting timeframe.  

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 3 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@nma851 wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

I figured as much and I've fine-tooth-combed the thing and even had my spouse and 2 neighbors (one is in commercial lending - better than nothing!!!), only to have them all just as perplexed as the next.  

Looking at other posts and threads, I'm far from the only one trying to find a needle in a haystack; just in my case, it is why 1 point cannot be attained under the circumstances.

Here's all the stats just in case it *may* shed more light than speculating about being one point shy of 800 with just one CRA:

As for that inquiry possibility, none are less than a year anymore but the count is at 4, 3 of which *should* count as 1 (auto) - but again is beyond the 12 months FICO affecting timeframe.  

How did you get a new account without a HP?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NRB525 wrote:

@nma851 wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Landed on a different bureau presumably.

@OP: If you're testing, not sure at 14 revolving trades but at 9 if I have 3 with balance I take a drop.  That said, the data isn't going to be precisely the same even with just how EX and TU report tradelines, and the algorithm isn't the same either.  When we're talking +/- 10 points between bureaus that's well within FICO's stated design criteria.  There just isn't much you can do other than let time pass once you get to the gold-plated level other than some reindeer games potentially with mix of credit and with various utilization metrics.

        
Message 5 of 9
nma851
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@nma851 wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@OP: If you're testing, not sure at 14 revolving trades but at 9 if I have 3 with balance I take a drop.  That said, the data isn't going to be precisely the same even with just how EX and TU report tradelines, and the algorithm isn't the same either.  When we're talking +/- 10 points between bureaus that's well within FICO's stated design criteria.  There just isn't much you can do other than let time pass once you get to the gold-plated level other than some reindeer games potentially with mix of credit and with various utilization metrics.

Good Lordie how can I have been THAT IGNORANT after learning all I have???  Talk about having egg all over my face.   

Yeah - that dang HD/Citi is the 3 month'er.  But - and here's the kicker - I had the issue prior to the new account.  Maybe that is why I more/less disregarded that metric (keep hitting 799 only irrespective of xxxxx it seems).  

BTW:  the HP hit EXP, not TU as you (or someone else - can't see now that I'm in typing mode so I apologize) mentioned. 

Just as you speculated as well, I am playing the tweaking game just because lolol.  That's what we do around these neck of the woods I reckon, and oddly enough I've done that xx/14 (well, xx/13 at the time) reporting a balance to see how # of accounts with a balance affects me.  Whether it's a 1.00 or up to 23%'ish of the line, I can ride 4 reporting before I'm dinged again.  Once the 5th hits, again irrespective of the amount as long as it's below 23% of the line, nor does it matter what "aged" account (new/old) reports the 5th account w/balance, I'm dinged around 13-17.  I guess when ya get up here, it stings a bit more!  Pay off ANY yo bring it back to 4, it's returned.  

Not too much I can do at this stage other than let em age and keep using/paying as I have.  With that 3 month'er in the mix, and even prior, the youngest account was around 14 or 15 months I say.  Maybe any account less than 2 years old, distilled from my TU data, will prevent an 800...  After 2 years, that is when I "qualify" for TU's 80 Club Smiley Happy 

Thanks again everyone - always appreciate the great discussions (and laughing at my expense) hahahaha

Message 6 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@nma851 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@nma851 wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Good Lordie how can I have been THAT IGNORANT after learning all I have???  Talk about having egg all over my face.   

Yeah - that dang HD/Citi is the 3 month'er.  But - and here's the kicker - I had the issue prior to the new account.  Maybe that is why I more/less disregarded that metric (keep hitting 799 only irrespective of xxxxx it seems).  

BTW:  the HP hit EXP, not TU as you (or someone else - can't see now that I'm in typing mode so I apologize) mentioned. 

Just as you speculated as well, I am playing the tweaking game just because lolol.  That's what we do around these neck of the woods I reckon, and oddly enough I've done that xx/14 (well, xx/13 at the time) reporting a balance to see how # of accounts with a balance affects me.  Whether it's a 1.00 or up to 23%'ish of the line, I can ride 4 reporting before I'm dinged again.  Once the 5th hits, again irrespective of the amount as long as it's below 23% of the line, nor does it matter what "aged" account (new/old) reports the 5th account w/balance, I'm dinged around 13-17.  I guess when ya get up here, it stings a bit more!  Pay off ANY yo bring it back to 4, it's returned.  

Not too much I can do at this stage other than let em age and keep using/paying as I have.  With that 3 month'er in the mix, and even prior, the youngest account was around 14 or 15 months I say.  Maybe any account less than 2 years old, distilled from my TU data, will prevent an 800...  After 2 years, that is when I "qualify" for TU's 80 Club Smiley Happy 

Thanks again everyone - always appreciate the great discussions (and laughing at my expense) hahahaha

Hah, thank you for the datapoint on that one.  There are so many just floating around in awkward spaces and it hasn't been consolidated... and here I was going to start testing tradeline count breakpoints on that with my own report and there's probably enough people who have played to make that unnecessary.

Out of curiosity with your pretty score what reason codes do you get for why your score ain't higher?

        
Message 7 of 9
nma851
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@nma851 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@nma851 wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Hah, thank you for the datapoint on that one.  There are so many just floating around in awkward spaces and it hasn't been consolidated... and here I was going to start testing tradeline count breakpoints on that with my own report and there's probably enough people who have played to make that unnecessary.

Out of curiosity with your pretty score what reason codes do you get for why your score ain't higher?

First one is always installment balance (it's at 72%), second is age of said installment account (15 months), and (go figure) pursuit of new credit.  They all have the same reasons except TU words #3 as presence of new account or something to that effect.  

You're all getting a kick out of pointing that TL out over & over & over lolololol 

Message 8 of 9
nma851
Regular Contributor

And you're welcome on the data points too BTW!!  Glad to help (if it's called helping even) Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.