Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax Lien

I have a tax lien for $24,499 that was recorded in May 2007 and released as recorded in error in Sept 2007.  TU and Exp quickly and easily deleted it, but Eq has been really difficult. I have disputed it 6 times over the last two years, submitting the recorded in error release each time. Again, they said it was recording correctly. I had enough today and I called all over the place until finally someone with a brain understood it and submitted it to be removed from report.

The only other negative thing on my report is a tax lien for $2,259 that was filed in March 2000. It was released in Sept 2007, although I don't think any of the bureaus are showing that it was released. I haven't asked them to because as I understand it, the day it's released re-ages it, making it seem more current and negatively affecting the score. My plan was to see if it might just drop off in March 2010 and if not, leave it be until Sept 2014, when it would have to be removed.

So, I have two questions. The first is does the amount of a tax lien affect the score? ie is $24,499 ding more than if had only been $100? My FICO says it's the number one thing hurting more score, but because it's "old" it's the third thing helping my score. 2 yrs and 3 mos doesn't seem old to me. EQ said within 48 hours it will be off, but I'm just curious as to how signficant the impact will be.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax Lien

Now I'm really frustrated. All that work to get EQ to remove the lien and my score went from 681 to 684. 3 points for a tax lien (erroneous) reporting since '07 and myfico is saying the biggest thing hurting my score still is a tax lien (march 2000). I just don't get it.
Message 2 of 5
smallfry
Senior Contributor

FICO scoring is a lot like the male role in marriage. Do something wrong and be prepared to duck. Do something right and well that's expected.
Message 3 of 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Now I'm really frustrated. All that work to get EQ to remove the lien and my score went from 681 to 684. 3 points for a tax lien (erroneous) reporting since '07 and myfico is saying the biggest thing hurting my score still is a tax lien (march 2000). I just don't get it.

You won't see the major improvement in your FICO score until the last tax lien is gone.
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Simple solution.

Bring legal action against any CRA who is reporrting derogs not permittted under FCRA  605(a).

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.