cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telling the difference between soft and hard pull.

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Telling the difference between soft and hard pull.

how do you do this with the reports provided here? 

they all just show up . 

unless all of them are hard. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Re: Telling the difference between soft and hard pull.

I believe the reports provided here only show hard pulls. For softs, you'd have to pull direct from the CRAs I think. Does your report in hand say inquiries visible to all (hard) and inquiries visible to only you (soft)?

Message 2 of 4
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@-Cain- wrote:

I believe the reports provided here only show hard pulls. For softs, you'd have to pull direct from the CRAs I think. Does your report in hand say inquiries visible to all (hard) and inquiries visible to only you (soft)?

i dont have any reports here. 

i pulled my reports back in november/december i think from annualcredit report and now they wont let me pull obviously. 

the only ones i have are the ones i purchased on here. 

my eq report all 3 times ive gotten it. 

in the understanding my credit shows 3 inquries but when i go into the inquries part it shows 4. 

on my august 7th report shows  0 inquries as a + on the scale but then lists two under the inquries july 17th and 28th both for ge cards that i recieved. (i know they are hard pulls though)

on my august 30th report for tu it doesnt list it as a plus and counts the 2 inquries. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The distinction between so-called "hard" and "soft" inquiries is that only hard inquiries are included in credit reports provided to others.

Most types of so-called soft inquiries relate to pulls not associated with a credit or insurance transaction that was initiated by the consumer.

FCRA 604(c) states that "a consumer reporting agency shall not furnish to any person a record of inquiries in connection with a credit or insurance transaction that is not initiated by the consumer."  Ergo, the statutory requirement to exclude certain types of inquiries. 

When you pull your own CR, you are entitled to see soft pulls made on your credit, but nothing mandates that a CR provide that information.

When you pull your own CR from more comprehensive sites, such as annualcreditreport.com, they provide the soft pulls. 

Most commercial vendors dont include soft pulls even in reports sold to the consumer.  I guess it is easier for them to provide only one format, and not worry about what is excluded based on who they sell it to.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.