cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory

Valued Contributor

Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory

So the past couple of months I have been playing with the UTL on my revolving accounts.

 

EQ just updated and my UTL last month 9% this month UTL 2%

 

***NO CHANGE IN SCORE***

 

*8/10/13
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory

I thought I far as scoring goes it's 0-15,16-29 etc

Message 2 of 17
Epic Contributor

Re: Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory

I would give it a few days.  EQ scores seem to be lagging.

 

Maybe it needs to be a bit higher.  Some have a sweet spot at 4%.

Message 3 of 17
Valued Contributor

Re: Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory


guiness56 wrote:

I would give it a few days.  EQ scores seem to be lagging.

 

Maybe it needs to be a bit higher.  Some have a sweet spot at 4%.


So when the balance is updated on EQ the score is not updated at the same time??

 

4% you say? I might try to hit that mark next month and see what happens.

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 17
Established Member

Re: Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory

I went from 0% to 3% and dropped a point.

 

Maybe because the balance was on a new card?

Message 5 of 17
Epic Contributor

Re: Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory


dodfire wrote:

guiness56 wrote:

I would give it a few days.  EQ scores seem to be lagging.

 

Maybe it needs to be a bit higher.  Some have a sweet spot at 4%.


So when the balance is updated on EQ the score is not updated at the same time??

 

4% you say? I might try to hit that mark next month and see what happens.


It should be but for some reason it hasn't.  Over on rebuilding I have read many posts where they don't get a bump in score for a few days after something significant happening.

 

The good thing with utilization is FICO has no memory of it and you can tinker around with it.

Message 6 of 17
Epic Contributor

Re: Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory


rossusa wrote:

I went from 0% to 3% and dropped a point.

 

Maybe because the balance was on a new card?


Is it your only card with a balance?

Message 7 of 17
Established Member

Re: Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory

Yes, I had all zeros and thought I'd try to leave a small balance on just one card.

Message 8 of 17
Epic Contributor

Re: Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory

I hear this works best for the ones rebuilding.  Maybe not the case for those not.

 

At any rate, you could always try a different % and see what happens.  FICO generally doesn't like to all CC with no balance.

Message 9 of 17
Established Contributor

Re: Testing the 1%-9% UTL theory


guiness56 wrote:

I hear this works best for the ones rebuilding.  Maybe not the case for those not.

 

At any rate, you could always try a different % and see what happens.  FICO generally doesn't like to all CC with no balance.


generally true, but its very dependent on your profile. For my profile, highest score is attained at zero balance. i lose less points going from less than 1%, to 1%, 2-5%, to 10%, than i do from 0% to less than 1%. I know the guy tracking his score when his balance changes over at "Otherboard" lost points going from les than 1% to no balance.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 10 of 17