Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That infamous 10% threshold

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

That infamous 10% threshold

It's generally suggested over and over again to keep your util less than 10%.

I recently had just one card reporting a positive balance; the util for this card was 9.9% rounded up to 10%, and the overall util was 3%. That card's util is now less than 1%. My EQ FICO score didn't change one point.

DW recently had just one card reporting a positive balance; the util for this card was 9.9% rounded up to 10%, and the overall util was 3%. That card's util is now less than 1%. Her EQ FICO score didn't change one point.

What gives? Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Re: That infamous 10% threshold

I've been watching my husbands scores as well as mine for the last few months, and tried the same thing with him.

In December, total util was 15% on his TU and 13% on his EQ.

A few days ago I pulled his reports again. Total utl is now 8% and 5%. His scores are similar to yours, 801 and 803 and they didn't change. He has nothing showing under negative factors on either report. Not sure what's going on...

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

It's generally suggested over and over again to keep your util less than 10%.

I recently had just one card reporting a positive balance; the util for this card was 9.9% rounded up to 10%, and the overall util was 3%. That card's util is now less than 1%. My EQ FICO score didn't change one point.

DW recently had just one card reporting a positive balance; the util for this card was 9.9% rounded up to 10%, and the overall util was 3%. That card's util is now less than 1%. Her EQ FICO score didn't change one point.

What gives? Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue Smiley Wink

I also try to mention that this rule of thumb seems to work well for most people but each person has to work with the numbers and find out what works best for them.

There is no one size fits all approach for every consumer when it comes to this aspect of credit management. At least IMO.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I also try to mention that this rule of thumb seems to work well for most people but each person has to work with the numbers and find out what works best for them.

There is no one size fits all approach for every consumer when it comes to this aspect of credit management. At least IMO.

Yep.  The FICO Score algorithms are insanely complex.  But the <9% seems to keep most folks out of "ding" trouble.  How far above that you can go without getting dinged is a great sport if you need something to keep you busy.  I always try to keep DH busy, so he doesn't get into too much trouble - but I haven't had him play with this yet.  And, of course, where I run into a ding will not be a guarantee that you will run into a ding at the same point.  Someone a good while back posted that they had a sweet spot at about 3%.  Definitely not so for me.    Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW, I seem to have gotten dinged by 4 points by going from 7.7% to 16.6% with the overall being at 1.6%.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

FWIW, I seem to have gotten dinged by 4 points by going from 7.7% to 16.6% with the overall being at 1.6%.

That's very consistent with my EQ FICO - I seem to consistently gain and lose 5 points on individual balance on one card below 9% vs. between 9-19%

Message 6 of 11
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Our two TUs also did not change one point. The simulator though had predicted I'd gain 10-50 points. DW's current TU credit report by the way is similar to one she had some months ago, whose score was 818; now just 804. Both have a single inquiry, but one was 10 months old, the other is 3 months ago; interesting impact that this would cause!

Message 7 of 11
clocktick
Valued Contributor

What are you all looking at your scores and CRs with when you refer to things like "the simulator"?  Score Watch?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, it seems that actually 20% is where i see a big (>10 pts) drop.  When I was less than 4 yrs out of BK, 10% was the level.  I think it has to do with "bucketing" or something.  However, going from 8% util to 12% util had only a 2pt effect on TU and 3 pts in EQ.  Adding a new account, however, knocked me down closer to 10.

Message 9 of 11
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

It also probably matters what the starting scores are - for someone above 800, it might not make a difference, but someone less than 700 could see a higher score loss.  Also, as mentioned, over all uti can play a role - try moving that over 10% and then back down - might move the scores more.

Finally, it's just a good benchmark for people to shoot for - easy to calculate based on your CL and a nice round number.

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.