cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Paid Charge-Off/Collection Blog: What Happened When YOU Paid YOUR Charge-Off or Collection?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Paid Charge-Off/Collection Blog: What Happened When YOU Paid YOUR Charge-Off or Collection?

Conventional wisdom holds that paying a charge-off has no positive effect on FICO, and may in fact hurt your FICO score, at least temporarily.

However, I have read two incidents on this board where people paid charge-offs and actually observed an increase in their FICO scores that was at least chronologically connected to the status of the charge-off being changed to "paid." I have been hoping for some time now that the powers-that-be at Fair Isaac would realize providing a disincentive for people to try and settle collections and charge-offs was unfair and counterproductive, and change the FICO formula to provide at least a little vigorish to encourage people who try and do the right thing.

Knowing how secretive Fair Isaac is regarding the FICO formula, I also do not expect them to publicly announce any such change or tweak. I figured the first we would hear of any such change would be anecdotal evidence, such as I have seen here in the past two weeks.

However, as an old professor of mine once said, chronological proximity does not prove causation, so I would like to collect more data on this. If you have paid a collection or charge-off, please reply with the impact it had on your FICO when your credit report was updated. Note that I am not interested in PFD, but ONLY in the observed effect on FICOs of a charge-off going from "unpaid" to "paid." Thanks, and I'm going to keep bumping this to the first page because I believe this issue is of great import to those of us trying to improve damaged credit.

* Current Tally (as of 4/27)
dekrist: Paid one CO listed only with TU, ∆ TU FICO -16.
fast5frog: Paid one CO, unknown CRA, ∆ FICO -14
drew: Paid one CO, unknown CRA, ∆ FICO +25

Message Edited by TheNewWorldMan on 04-27-2007 07:19 PM
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: The Paid Charge-Off/Collection Blog: What Happened When YOU Paid YOUR Charge-Off or Collection?

AMEN!!!!!   Even though I disagreed with some of your advice on the other threads,  this one is SPOT ON.     It is absolutly insane to think that  " Ok   I want to clear up my old debts, get out of debt and improve my credit rating", only to have paying off your old debts lower your score, even if it is temporary.   If an account goes to collections, then the damage is done and by paying it off is shouldn't further hinder your score.   Even if it doesn't change your score that would be better than dropping it.
This causes people to think "foolishly I might add"  that  " hey, why bother paying it, it not going to do anything to my credit and it might hurt it so , I'm not going to pay it".   Thus leaving these people wide open to aggresive collection tactics,  being sued for judgments' having their  bank accounts frozen wages garnished,  liens on their houses   etc. etc.   

The system needs to change in that regards.    Great Idea you have.
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Paid Charge-Off/Collection Blog: What Happened When YOU Paid YOUR Charge-Off or Collection?

The plus side to paying off a collection is that the negative stops there.  The debt can no longer be sold off to other collectors resulting in additional collection action being added to your report.  It can no longer be updated monthly keeping its ugly head in your credit report.  The longer since the last update the more your score recovers.  The FICO still considers the collection in the likelihood of default because if it was done once it may be done again.

However, I do believe that they could give a girl a couple of points for making good... but that's what I was supposed to do the first time around right?
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not saying once you pay a charge-off the effects should be completely erased. I'd settle for a one-third reduction in the negative effect, along with the effect of aging being increased by, say, a third. And no ding to your FICO for recent activity. If they did even that, I would work to pay my charge-offs in full.
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just paid one that reported on TU wasn't on EX or EQ fico dropped 16 points. No other changes occured. oh sorry just re read post for increase in score well no luck for me

Message Edited by dekrist on 04-27-2007 04:17 PM
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just paid one collection and went down -14 points!! So much for trying to do the right thing!
Message 6 of 26
Drew
Frequent Contributor

I settled a CO'ed account a few weeks back and it was updated at the same time I had a 25 point increase in my FICO score.

I'm hoping this isn't the only account that I get this kind of luck with, after reading all your stories.
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yours was definitely an outlier, but I logged it with the others. Thanks.
Message 8 of 26
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Sad  Brammy, if this were only true:  "It can no longer be updated monthly, keeping its ugly head in your credit report."  I've been battling a particular bank for years regarding a paid charge off.  They continue to update and everytime they do, I lose, and nevermind that this was a 10 year home improvement loan taken out in 1987!  When our son was born (the disabled child, in 1997) our finances suffered, as I couldn't return to work, and thusly, we fell behind in everything.  There was a balance of just under $900 left, of $10,000 on the loan.  In 2003, and just to do the right thing, I paid it off, in full, which reset the clock, I suppose, because the bank has been updating/reporting, at will, every since, and state they can continue to do so for the next 3 years.  

Most recently (just last month and prior to the two collections regarding Medicaid) the information they reported indicated that I had made recent, on time payments, for the past 11 months and then was charged off at $10,000, not the $892.  I'm still waiting to recover from that, and live in fear of the next time they update/report their bogus "new" information on a 20 year old debt that reads, on my report, "Bad debt.  Charge off.  Balance 0" with no DOFD or N/A in its place.  I pray Equifax is patient with me, as every time the bank reports/updates, I dispute.  What else can you do?  I guess the answer to that is, continue to do the right thing regardless of the fact that in real life, you may not see a reward for your efforts, but what price can one put on a clear conscience, huh?

me

I think I've addressed this issue before, but any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. 
Message 9 of 26
Mindnumb
New Contributor

Paid a Charge off from 04 in March 07

I paid a charge off from 04 in early March 07. I paid it in full, not for the settlement amount. This charge off has never shown as a "collection account". My paying off this charge off has has had no effect as the original charge off as it is still shown on my CR as a charge off. I'm just wondering if I need to get some proof of my paying this charge off (other than my bank statement that shows it paid to someone other than the original creditor) but I don't want to rock the boat by waking up this sleeping dog.

Message Edited by Mindnumb on 04-28-2007 08:36 AM
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.