Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The bucketed list

tag
williamd1972
Contributor

The bucketed list

How long does it take for your credit score to rebound after you have been bucketed?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The bucketed list

Curious to know too. I had lost 17 points recently after removing my last late (90 days).
Message 2 of 8
krielly
Established Contributor

I'm fairly new here. Would someone mind explaining this term to me? Thanks

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 3 of 8
lil_bo_peep
Valued Member

Bucketed or rebucketing, however you say it...means to put you in a group that is according to your credit report, such as: if you have a BK you will be placed in a bucket with your peers that also have a BK and if you have paid on time every month since your BK you will have a higher score than those in your bucket that have not.  When your BK falls off of your report you are then moved to a different bucket and this will depend on your credit report at that time....derogs, lates, new credit file etc... there are several threads on Bucketing, do a search and you should find what you need.

lil_bo

Just a little reminder.....sometimes these boards get a little confusing but we are all here to help each other not make things more difficult, you can only Do what's right for YOU, not what everyone else thinks is right for you! Love you guys!!! Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 8
Established Contributor

williamd1972 wrote:
How long does it take for your credit score to rebound

after you have been bucketed?

That would be determined by the nature of the bucket change.

If you are rebucketed because a BK fell of your reports, I would pretty much assume that you are competing (for score) against people who might never have had a BK. Your score at that point would be what it would have been if you never had a BK. If your scores are lower than your new peers, it would only be because they have better credit file data.

Your ongoing data will have to improve and age for your scores to go up presumably at a similar rate to that of your new peers. I would therefore conclude that you would receive relatively small score increases over time. On the other hand we do know that sub 700 scores tend to increase faster then high 700 scores for good credit behavior.

The lower your new bucket scores, are I would assume the faster they would increase due to normal positive time forces in the FICO scoring system.

I think the real issue for me is to 

be proactive in preparing for a bucket change. If I had a thin file that includes a BK, I think that I would make every effort to prepare the file to compete in a new bucket when the BK falls off.

Opening more tradelines four or five years before the BK falls off might increase my "Average of Account" position by the time a BK falls off. If I had  twice as many tradelines (of similar age) than my new peers then I might not even get a score drop at all when I do get rebucketed.. My credit file might be substantially better than my new peers. Certainly applying for new credit (post bucket change) would generally produce less of a FICO ding.

Of course in the earlier days long before the BK fell off, all those extra open accounts could have reduced the former score. The initially low average age of the new accounts along with a BK could have been a somewhat riskier profile than that of my former peers. 

My point is that if a person was asking your question

pertaining to a BK falling off, triggering a rebucket, I would say the game plan would be to plan for a rebucketing the whole time the BK is still in file.  There might not even be a score drop when the rebucketing takes place.

Here is another situation.

I recently achieved an 800 FICO score with an average age of accounts of just under 6 years. I guessed that I might get a score bucket change once my average age reached 6 years. I could then have possibly lost my 800 score (for an undetermined length of time) due to the fact that I could be compared to others with higher average age.

I know that 5 years is sufficient to achieve an 800 FICO, so I saw no harm in opening another tradeline even if I took a temporary FICO hit. I could reasonably be assured that the score would return to 800+ within the year (before the average age of accounts hit 6 years).

I would only be wondering (as you are) about when I would get the 800 score back if I had not opened a new tradeline and allowed my average age to hit 6 years. When my average age (with the new tradeline) reaches 6 years in October I will see if my score does in fact go up with a bucket change. If the score goes down I will simply open a new tradeline and maintain an average age of 5 years again.

There is no way to predict with any accuracy the answer to your question since there are so many variables that come into play.

The best way to get your question answered is to provide more information about the specific nature of the bucket change. Others could give you feedback with data they have that is relevant to your particular situation.

Suppose that you asked how long it would take to get your 800 FICO back after losing it as a result of Average Age rebucketing, I would say wait a few months to see if the score rebounds quickly. If the score doesn't rebound I would suggest opening another tradeline and the 800 score would probably return quicker as a result of returning to the 5 year average age bucket.

Dealing with scoring buckets is a crap shoot. There is no guarantee about how the dice will role. Once you have a solid observation concerning your own actual bucket (and score) change  you can share the info with others. In the meantime you can only post your own specific circumstances and see if others have any experience that is similar to the bucket change that you are contemplating.

All "Individual "Mileage" of course "Varies" a lot.

Message 5 of 8
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:
Curious to know too. I had lost 17 points recently after removing my last late (90 days).

I believe the length of time that you will need to receive a 17 point increase is dependent on your current score. The lower the score is the faster that you will gain 17 points over time.
Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

CreditAble wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I believe the length of time that you will need to receive a 17 point increase is dependent on your current score. The lower the score is the faster that you will gain 17 points over time.

It is always frustrating not knowing when the rebound would start or happen. There are no absolutes with buckets because the data is dependent on everyone else's within that bucket.
Message 7 of 8
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:
It is always frustrating not knowing when the rebound would start or happen. There are no absolutes with buckets because the data is dependent on everyone else's within that bucket.

One factor that we do know absent any other variables. A 700 score will usually increase by 17 points a lot faster than a 790 score will.

Pretend that you were not rebucketed and that you were in the same bucket for years. You now have a 700 score. You want to know how long it will take to gain 17 points. That could be as little as 6 months or a year. If you have a 790 score, don't count on reaching 807 within a year or two.  Smiley Wink 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.