Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The idiocy of FICO scoring

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The idiocy of FICO scoring

My TU score increases 5 points from 725 to 730 since I paid down my credit card by over four thousand dollars while my EQ score increases **7** points from 722 to 729 because the balance on one of my other cards decreased 11% - FROM $186 TO $165!!!!

Ughh....

Trust me though, I am not complaining, I will take any points I can get.

It just makes no sense......Robot Frustrated

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The idiocy of FICO scoring

@Anonymous wrote:

My TU score increases 5 points from 725 to 730 since I paid down my credit card by over four thousand dollars while my EQ score increases **7** points from 722 to 729 because the balance on one of my other cards decreased 11% - FROM $186 TO $165!!!!

Ughh....

Trust me though, I am not complaining, I will take any points I can get.

It just makes no sense......Robot Frustrated

What are the resulting utilizations?  Did that $4k drop your util from 80% to 70% and likewise with the TU score?  Big moves seem to occur at the lower "bucket" levels? The actually dollar amount may prove to be meaningless if the percentage changes are minimal?

Message 2 of 9
EW800
Valued Contributor

FICO scoring can indeed be very goofy. A few months ago I accodently let $3 report on a second credit card and got dinged a few points. I am sure it was because I let two accounts report a balance instead of one, which is considered by many to be the optimal number for scoring purposes, but I had to chuckle that basically the FICO God's felt that I was a bit higher of a risk because of that $3 showing! 😄
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 3 of 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I also had a ding awhile back for $5 reporting. I wanted to see my eq score, and I needed a change in balance of $5. This wasn't even close to 10%, got dinged 9 pts. Next month, got 9 pts back. Interesting experiment.
Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

.......Big moves seem to occur at the lower "bucket" levels? The actually dollar amount may prove to be meaningless if the percentage changes are minimal?

I am beginning to think that this is the case......although the 4,000 was a 50% paydown......

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't feel bad.  My equifax was 829 and dropped to 815 after one of my cards reported that the balance went from 900 to 0.... Mind you this card was at a zero balance for over 4 months... Makes no sense to me...

Message 6 of 9
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

If you try to figure out fico scoring you will wind up in an insane asylum.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i know how you feel but my score is having the opposite reaction instead of going up because i paid down credits cards my scores went down by as much as 7 points on each score report but i have come to the conclusion that its because i had no activity at all on the cards for months and its like opening a new card but yes when it comes to your score any points they give you just be grateful .

Message 8 of 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

The great Fico (and the lesser algorithms):

They giveth the points, they taketh away the points, and if you are good and wise, they giveth the points back again. Smiley Tongue

Signature needs updating
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.