cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The points go away but when do they come back?

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: The points go away but when do they come back?

@Anonymous wrote:

the FICO issue is the derogs that accrued in the interim.

Ok. So the question now is will CR bureaus accept my dispute letter with a copy of the form letter from SL that states that deferment dated back to December (after which came the derogs-as you put it)?

The derogs should never have been posted to the CRs.

Also, does anyone know how long it takes to get dispute letters resolved?

They get 30 or 45 days to validate or is it verify depending upon how you disputed.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Past due: $0
Last activity: 4/1/2008
Description: Student loan - payment deferred

OK, so the Score Watch alert came showing that the deferment has been reported, but I can only assume that this does not reflect a change based on the dispute about the erroneously reported past dues since my score didn't change.

Also, the "salt-in-the-wound" action of the day:

After paying down a chunk off CC, they lowered my limit because CR showed the past dues from the student loan company.

I thought Congress passed an anti-torture bill!

Message 12 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

OK, it appears that you have now prevented future derogs due to your deferrment of payments.
But are the prior derogs still appearing on your CR?
Payment history, at 35%, is the one category that affects your score more than any other.  That includes prior derogs (late payments, 30/60/90 late).
You stated in your first post that they hit you for derogs until the time that your deferrment was granted.
Are the derog payments sitll showing in your CR?
Change of account status to "paying as agreed" is not the end all.  It does NOT erase the prior derogs unless the creditor has specifically instructed the CRAs to delete them.  Change of account status wont don that.
You gotta get the prior derog lates removed.  They are huge in FICO.

Message 13 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The points come back when you clear your CR of derogs.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The points don't really "come back" in the same way they went away.  It's not a one-for-one exchange.

Your score may be higher or lower after you get rid of the derogs.  There are many factors that go into the FICO score; it's a moving target so your CR at the "before" stage will never be exactly the same at the "after stage."

You may have graduated to a longer credit history, which could boost your score.  Or you could be rebucketed, temporarily depressing your score.  Your util is unlikely to be exactly the same at both points.

So please don't get hung up waiting for an exact number of points to "come back."  Just do all the right things and your score will improve over time.  Good luck!
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I can only imagine the points leaving faster than they are returning on this issue.

With one CC lowering my limit (which will affect my score, n'est-ce pas?), should I be proactive and inform other CCs of the situation in dispute before they all follow suit?

This is turning into more of a headache. Not as bad as an having an IED for breakfast, though. Gotta keep things in perspective.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

kyd70 wrote:

With one CC lowering my limit (which will affect my score, n'est-ce pas?), should I be proactive and inform other CCs of the situation in dispute before they all follow suit?

Peut-etre.

Depends on what your util is.  If they lower your limit but you don't pay down the CCs, it will depress your score.

I'd leave the sleeping chiens alone.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

masdeocho wrote:

Depends on what your util is.  If they lower your limit but you don't pay down the CCs, it will depress your score.

The util is what has me tied in knots. I paid down a huge chunk of this CC to lower the util, then they lower the limit so the util % goes back up!

Like I said, didn't congress pass an anti-torture bill?

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

kyd70 wrote:

The util is what has me tied in knots. I paid down a huge chunk of this CC to lower the util, then they lower the limit so the util % goes back up!

This is the latest trend.  CCCs get freaked that you charged up, so after you pay it down they take away your ability to do it again.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.