cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "New" FICO Scoring Model? -- Total Bull**bleep**!

tag
Quazar

The "New" FICO Scoring Model? -- Total Bull**bleep**!

Just received an email from myFico, the service I've been paying $14.95 a month now for past 2 years....and have slowly worked my score up from 659 to a 697....and just got auto-renewed on June 1st....and now today receive an email that I've been upgraded to their new scoring system...so I log in and nkw my score is 652!!!

This is total Bull**bleep**!

Anyome else get this?

My credit card utilization has steadily been going down, debt to income ratio gettinf better, no late payments, longer history of ontime payments and age of accounts, etc.....yet they decide to redo their model and drop my score by 47 points!

Total Bull**bleep**!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
EW800
Valued Contributor

Re: The "New" FICO Scoring Model? -- Total Bull**bleep**!

The way I am looking at it, your scores (as well as the rest of us), has not changed at all.  It is just a different models scores that are being reported to us.  There are something like 49+ models available, so the odds of a lender seeing a different score (higher or lower) are very high.  If anything, I have looked at this as a plus, as it allows us to see where we stand by another model.  Additionally, it is my understanding that the 08 model that is now reporting is used more often than the older models, such as 98.  This change does not effect at all what a lender sees.  They will continue to pull the models that they always have.  

I am sure others will be able to explain this better than I did.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 2 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

The way I am looking at it, your scores (as well as the rest of us), has not changed at all.  It is just a different models scores that are being reported to us.  There are something like 49+ models available, so the odds of a lender seeing a different score (higher or lower) are very high.  If anything, I have looked at this as a plus, as it allows us to see where we stand by another model.  Additionally, it is my understanding that the 08 model that is now reporting is used more often than the older models, such as 98.  This change does not effect at all what a lender sees.  They will continue to pull the models that they always have.  

I am sure others will be able to explain this better than I did.  

To me its less about what scoring model you want to get upset about, Its more important about what is actually on your credit reports that needs some fixing. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 25
HiLine
Blogger

Message 4 of 25
Quazar

No, that is not the point. What is in my credit file is the same now as it was a couple of days ago before the new model. Whether there are some things that need fixing or not, or mayne it is because I've been recovering from a BK and a co-signed student loan that one of my children got way late on I was not aware of...fact is the items in my CR have nkt changed but because of a new scoring model my score dropped 47 points.

That is totally not fair. I will mkst likely talk to a lawyer and get his opinion on whether this might warrant starting a Class Action lawsuit, or just a personal suit agsinst myFico to get a full refund of all the monthly fees I have paid.

Why?

Because obviously I havr been paying for a bad service, for a defective service. If their old model was so far off the mark that when they retooled it and discovered it was off by 47 points...then obviously I have been paying for a grossly faulty product abd should get a full refund of my money for paying for something that was so grossly miscalculated.
Message 5 of 25
Quazar

Also misses the point. When lenders pull the score now they will see 652 and 697. That will cause be eithdr be denied or pay a higher interest rate.

Out of these 49 models you talk about...it really is just a few that are pulled over and over again. The model used for a mortgage appl or auto loan or major credit card....it has never been a possible 49 models they oull.from....they pull TU or EX or EQ...and 99% of the time it is the latest Fico model rhat EQ uses...which was for me a 697 yesterday and today a 652...which is Bull Crap.
Message 6 of 25
Quazar

Well rhis just makes paying $14.95 for the myFico service useless and I will be canceling my subscription.

The whole point in subscribing was tobgave access to the same score a mortgage lender would see....so I could see where I stand and know going in whether it is ecen worth the risk or not of me applying for new credit.

If I see my 04 score and know thisbis what most lenders pull, and I can determine if my score is high enough to get approved. Or if I don't think it is high enough then I don't apply and sace myself a hard inquiry and possible point drop because of the application.

So now this service is of ni use to me and Ibwill be dropping it.
Message 7 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Quazar wrote:
Also misses the point. When lenders pull the score now they will see 652 and 697. That will cause be eithdr be denied or pay a higher interest rate.

Out of these 49 models you talk about...it really is just a few that are pulled over and over again. The model used for a mortgage appl or auto loan or major credit card....it has never been a possible 49 models they oull.from....they pull TU or EX or EQ...and 99% of the time it is the latest Fico model rhat EQ uses...which was for me a 697 yesterday and today a 652...which is Bull Crap.

Honestly, this isn't accurate: any lender that has wanted to pull FICO 8 has been using that for a while now, since 2009 to be precise.  It's likely a majority, maybe even 90%, but not 99% on the score distribution: mortgages being the prime exception.

The change to Scorewatch is absolutely irrelevant to what any given lender has been doing for a while, and we've known several credit card issuers to be pulling FICO 8 from even 2 years ago.

I'm not certain how the impression that whatever Scorewatch or any other FICO or FAKO score was a reference for any lending benchmark, with the exception of the EQ Beacon 5.0 score and conventional and likely virtually all mortgages based on the way the mortgage industry is setup.  I agree there's roughly 18 commonly pulled scores, but whatever we can see from here or anywhere else has no bearing on what a lender sees scorewise unfortunately: it is coincidence if they pick a score that we have access to.

A lawsuit would almost certainly be wasting your own money: I understand your anger, and as unhappy as I am as a consumer with the Scorewatch change, it's a service and all that has changed is the score they give us and that's their perogative to do so.  FICO has an enormous legal arm, and they're consulted on virtually everything, and while I haven't gone through the T&C of SW explicitly, I'm pretty certain it's no different than any other service offered: you're within your rights to cancel anytime.

        
Message 8 of 25
HiLine
Blogger

What scoring model Score Watch decided to use for their service has no bearing whatsoever on what scoring model lenders use. 

If you want to know your 04 score, as some posters have said, you can purchase it from Equifax in their Score Power product. 

Message 9 of 25
Quazar

I refinanced a mortgage in April of last year and also obtained a morrgage on a new house in October of last year....and both times the Fico scored pulled from the mortgage lender was exactly the same score as was showing on myFico account.

So it seems they both still pulling what I'm hearing is called the 04 model. Seems to be the most common. I think the score shown on myFico should be the most common model that mortgage lenders use....I think that is why most people use the service....so they can monitor and determine when they are ready to apply for a morrgage.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.